Sleepy/Lethargic Rooster

CrzyChicLady

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
I adopted a Barred Rock Roo about a month ago. He has been very active and protective of his hens since he's been here. He is the largest of my flock but hasn't been aggresive to me or the other chickens. I only have 3 other roos, a young cochin, a full grown cochin, and a Jap. They get along fine but sometimes squabble over the best roosting spot in the coop at night (nothing serious). But now my barred roo is not coming out of the coop to free range during the day. He is staying in the coop sleeping/resting and doesn't seem to be eating. He also hasn't been crowing in the mornings. I haven't picked him up to fully examine him but I can't see anything physically wrong with him. Any suggestions??

You have 4 roos in with 10 or 12 hens? He is the newbie so he will be at the bottom of the pecking order. He may simply be avoiding getting pecked; the other roos will certainly be putting him in his place. About one roo to ten hens works best for most people.

That could be the problem. All of my chickens are new. I got all of my chickens and hens at the same time.....from the same flock.

Back
Top Bottom