Sleepy or sick?As well as other questions since I'm new to quail chicks.

Nova99

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
So it's been about 3 days since my button quail hatched. Has been very active and everything.This morning at 11am he seemed fine and active. I went to check on him around 4pm and he was snuggled underneath a stuffed animal he likes to sleep under for whatever reason. He seems very sleepy and wobbles around. He even seemed to close his eyes right in the middle of the brooder I set up and sleep. And when I go to pick him up he seems to go to sleep in my hand. I put him back and he curled back up under the stuffie. I know I'm probably being paranoid. I'm just going to assume it's normal but I need reassurance.😰I haven't slept too well since he has hatched since I worry.He was just super wobbly but he did drink water I offered to him. I'm used to seeing him up and running around but I did interrupt his nap.
Also is it normal that he sometimes seems to chirp and chirp and chirp? He does it a lot and sometimes I have no idea what he wants. He seems to sometimes pace.Only time he is quiet is when he is asleep.
He also doesn't eat a lot but he is pooping so I'm guessing he's eating when I'm not looking? I'm super new to button quail in general and haven't raised chicks of any kind in years. I have no idea how much button quail chicks eat in a normal day.

Raising quail chicks can be quite stressful. Is he your only chick? If they're alone they will cry out a lot. Keep an eye on him, because if he grows too weak there must be a problem.

Every time you put your hand in the brooder, tap the food to encourage him to eat. Have you ground the food up finely? They need it fine/powdery for quite some time as they are so tiny. He should be either eating or sleeping. That's pretty much what quail chicks do and without siblings or parents he may not be eating enough, so try to regularly get him eating. :fl

Raising quail chicks can be quite stressful. Is he your only chick? If they're alone they will cry out a lot. Keep an eye on him, because if he grows too weak there must be a problem.
He was my only chick. I did a small batch of eggs using older eggs so I wasn't sure if any would hatch but he came out pretty healthy and strong. One other came out weak and died. He sadly passed yesterday and I'm not sure why. He was fine for the 1st day and a half or so. I dunno if I did something wrong or it just wasn't meant to be. 😭
I still plan on doing another batch probably in a week. I have a big bag of chick feed and everything I needed.

Every time you put your hand in the brooder, tap the food to encourage him to eat. Have you ground the food up finely? They need it fine/powdery for quite some time as they are so tiny. He should be either eating or sleeping. That's pretty much what quail chicks do and without siblings or parents he may not be eating enough, so try to regularly get him eating. :fl
He sadly passed yesterday.I ground it up for him and changed it frequently when he was sleeping. I mostly checked on him every 4 hours and would offer him the bowl of food and water. He seemed interested in water but no matter what I did he didn't eat the food as much. I tried tapping the food a bunch of times and only occasionally would he grab a bit. I even added water to make it more mushy to see if he would like that. I dunno if I did something wrong or he was just sick. :(He was super active for the last few days so I was sure he would be fine.

My theory is sometimes they just don't develop properly and it can take a few days for that to become apparent once they hatch. I don't think you did anything wrong. It is tough though when you only have a small number of chicks hatch out. :hugs

He was my only chick. I did a small batch of eggs using older eggs so I wasn't sure if any would hatch but he came out pretty healthy and strong. One other came out weak and died. He sadly passed yesterday and I'm not sure why. He was fine for the 1st day and a half or so. I dunno if I did something wrong or it just wasn't meant to be. 😭
I still plan on doing another batch probably in a week. I have a big bag of chick feed and everything I needed.

I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs

You did the best you could for him. Sadly these things just happen. The same thing happened with my california quail hatch :hit

I'm so sorry for your loss! It's so heart breaking to lose a chick. :hugs
My theory is sometimes they just don't develop properly and it can take a few days for that to become apparent once they hatch. I don't think you did anything wrong. It is tough though when you only have a small number of chicks hatch out. :hugs
I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs

You did the best you could for him. Sadly these things just happen. The same thing happened with my california quail hatch :hit
Thank you everyone for the comfort.I appreciate it.I do plan on doing another batch even if its terrifying and exciting at times.Hopefully this one does a lot better:)
In the end I want not to be afraid of trying again.

Back
Top Bottom