sleepy silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Krayfish57, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Krayfish57

Krayfish57 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2013
    My little black silkie has been listless for the past 3 days. I thought she was cold so I brought her in the house last night. Other than being listless and stumbling; she has no other symptoms. She seems to have a good appetite when you wake her up, she immediately starts to eat. Here is a picture I just took. Has anyone had similar experience with this condition and what, if anything should I do?
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Could she have coccidiosis? Is she new or have you added any new birds lately? New strains of coccidia can be brought in on shoes, too. Symptoms of cocci are lethargy, poor appetite, huddling or puffing up, ruffled neck feathers, and diarrhea sometimes with blood. Treatment is Corid (amprollium) for 5 days. Enteritis can also cause diarrhea and weakness. Check her crop for impaction (it should be empty in the morning, full in the evening) and look her skin over especially around her vent for lice and mites. Look for watery eyes, runny nose, or chest rattles/wheezes.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  3. Krayfish57

Feb 1, 2013
    She is a year old and no she has lived with the rest of the flock that I bought at the same time. No new birds added. She is puffing up but she does not have diarrhea. I will check her crop in the morning.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Look her over for any respiratory symptoms: watery eyes, nasal drainage, swelling around eyes or face, rattles or gurgles. Feel of her keelbone to see if she has lost weight. Note the color of her poops, andlook at her vent.

5. rookie2014

rookie2014 New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    I have just added a couple new breedes to my small flock. Now an older hen lost an eye and several have real watery eyes. I just lost a hen today? Pretty scared right now the newbies are fine. Any advise I need help fast!

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It would be better to start your own new thread to get more advice. Just go to the top left of the page under the title to "start a new thread" in the gray box. Give all the details you can.

7. celeste110311

celeste110311 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    Watery/bubbly eyes means respiratory infection most of the time. But best yo start own thread

8. celeste110311

Feb 21, 2014
    Krayfish57
    She may be having worms. Just give antibiotics first in case of respiratory infection then give probiotics and treat for worms after.

9. celeste110311

Feb 21, 2014
    You can also use plain yogurt for worms I believe.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  10. Krayfish57

Feb 1, 2013
    She does not have any signs or symptoms of any respiratory infection. She is a little thin. I will de-worm in the morning. Thank you for the suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by