Slight Problem: Egg Eating

SED

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
North West Alabama
I have 5 Bourbon Red Hens and Two Bourbon Red Toms in a 12'X18' pen along with Two Black Australorp Hens. The Turkeys have been laying for about a month now and I have been getting around 3-4 turkey eggs per day. About two or three days ago I noticed one of the Black Australorp hens running around being chased by the other birds and she had an egg shell in her mouth. I saw it again yesterday and have noticed two older eggs that I marked and put in their nest box was missing. I am also only getting 2-3 eggs per day now. I think that I have an egg eater on my hands. Do turkeys normally do this or do you think it is one of my BA hens doing this? If it is a turkey hen, how can I stop it? Should I separate them into trios? I have the BA hens sold so they will be leaving within the next week so I am hoping this will fix the problem. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking it's probably the BAs. Guess you will find out pretty soon when you get rid of them.

wink.png
Blow an egg fill it with strong mustard and let her eat it do this a cuple of times and your prob. solved! To blow an egg poke a hole thru both sides and break up the yolk the blow the inerds out!

I think it's the BA that are eating those eggs, but I would put some wooden eggs in the nest so that they will learn that they can't break eggs.

Back
Top Bottom