Slight Problem: Egg Eating

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by SED, Feb 23, 2011.

1. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    I have 5 Bourbon Red Hens and Two Bourbon Red Toms in a 12'X18' pen along with Two Black Australorp Hens. The Turkeys have been laying for about a month now and I have been getting around 3-4 turkey eggs per day. About two or three days ago I noticed one of the Black Australorp hens running around being chased by the other birds and she had an egg shell in her mouth. I saw it again yesterday and have noticed two older eggs that I marked and put in their nest box was missing. I am also only getting 2-3 eggs per day now. I think that I have an egg eater on my hands. Do turkeys normally do this or do you think it is one of my BA hens doing this? If it is a turkey hen, how can I stop it? Should I separate them into trios? I have the BA hens sold so they will be leaving within the next week so I am hoping this will fix the problem. Any suggestions?

2. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I'm thinking it's probably the BAs. Guess you will find out pretty soon when you get rid of them.

3. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    Quote:Yep, and I am looking forward to it too!

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Turkeys don't normally eat eggs how ever they have the instinct to remove broken eggs from the nest and carry them away. When a wild turkey sits on a nest they don't want to give any extra smells to call in predators.

Steve

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    look for your fattest shiniest hen . . . you will find your egg eater.

6. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    [​IMG]Blow an egg fill it with strong mustard and let her eat it do this a cuple of times and your prob. solved! To blow an egg poke a hole thru both sides and break up the yolk the blow the inerds out!

7. butch

butch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Van Wert
    I think it's the BA that are eating those eggs, but I would put some wooden eggs in the nest so that they will learn that they can't break eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by