Slightly panicked: Starting to build our Coop...just got 13 Chicks!!!

Build. build. build. Your chicks are already ready for the great outdoors. We are north of you. SE Mass. Our chicks went outside at 5 days old. Turned off the heating pad at about 3 weeks. By then they had pretty much stopped using it. If anything you will need to plan for the heat.
Good luck.
That's a great point! I was wondering why we don't take them outside in the backyard to play! I suggested that to DH and he said, Stop rushing it! They're fine! I don't agree -- I think a little play time in the grass could be a lot of fun and good for them. However I think I would take out only 4 at a time, as many as we can hold in both hands. Can't chase around 13 baby chicks in the grass. Plus we have hawks, foxes, and dang raccoons lurking around. Wouldn't take our eyes off the chicks for a second. We have no fencing except some farm fences in the back by the barn. I'm talking about keeping them closely supervised on the grass for a little bit. What do you think??

That's a great point! I was wondering why we don't take them outside in the backyard to play! I suggested that to DH and he said, Stop rushing it! They're fine! I don't agree -- I think a little play time in the grass could be a lot of fun and good for them. However I think I would take out only 4 at a time, as many as we can hold in both hands. Can't chase around 13 baby chicks in the grass. Plus we have hawks, foxes, and dang raccoons lurking around. Wouldn't take our eyes off the chicks for a second. We have no fencing except some farm fences in the back by the barn. I'm talking about keeping them closely supervised on the grass for a little bit. What do you think??
Use a dog crate with some cardboard inside up a wee bit of the sides. Use that to take them outside from the trough.....

Anybody know the "rule of thumb" on when baby chicks should be transferred from a brooder into a full blown coop? 6 weeks, 8? 10 weeks? Or sooner? A few of ours are very active and flying up to the top of the water container and feeder. We were told they were 2 weeks last week, so this should be their 3rd week. They seem older. We could also put the familiar brooder inside the coop for a week when the time comes? What age is good for putting them in coop? *crossing fingers we'll have it done by then*
Relax, your not gonna break them. There really is no "perfect" answer to your situation either.

In the hatching sub forum there are hundreds of threads. Some debating.... I've learned alot in the short 15+ months I've been in here learning as I go.

Heck I even have a thread where we let the hens get all broody and tagteam the clutch of eggs.... It's a thread as well....

Have fun with this.

Don't beat yourselves up over this either.

If it takes y'all awhile longer the chicks won't start making picket signs... Right?

Relax, your not gonna break them. There really is no "perfect" answer to your situation either.

In the hatching sub forum there are hundreds of threads. Some debating.... I've learned alot in the short 15+ months I've been in here learning as I go.

Heck I even have a thread where we let the hens get all broody and tagteam the clutch of eggs.... It's a thread as well....

Have fun with this.

Don't beat yourselves up over this either.

If it takes y'all awhile longer the chicks won't start making picket signs... Right?

Thanks! Yes, we do need to chill a bit. They won't notice if we make mistakes. LOVE the picket signs comment.
:lau:lol::wee

Yep chicks/chicken are always happy and busy. Mine only complain when they come in for egg laying time and the special laying box is occupied(nothing special about it but to them it is), or when I show up 5 minutes late opening the coop door. I walk to the coop getting yelled at the whole time if I am late. If I show up early I get the cold shoulder.

I use temporary plastic fence netting to create a play yard for the young chicks outside. They are easier to manage that way. Teach them to respond to treats ( shake a bag of scratch) to get them back into coop. But they likely need to go into their coop soon as they feather out. No heat required.
OK, thanks! Where do you get temporary plastic fence netting? Is it for kids? (ours are grown, we forget these things! :lol: ) A play yard sounds like a great idea. A bag of scratch -- chickie treats? Probably need to head back to the feed store and get some mealworms?

Scrambled eggs work great too I never put on seasonings for my chicken, just the oil and egg. It is always a hit. Cucumbers and mango too. They are walking garbage disposals in general and don't need too much pampering. With chicks be sure to enjoy their learning process as you expose them to a food they have never seen before. By the end of this film there is usually a chase scene.

OK, thanks! Where do you get temporary plastic fence netting? Is it for kids? (ours are grown, we forget these things! :lol: ) A play yard sounds like a great idea. A bag of scratch -- chickie treats? Probably need to head back to the feed store and get some mealworms?
Tractor supply should have it. They also carry the fence posts that you step on to put into the ground. The fencing is sometimes called plastic poultry netting. Inexpensive.

Back
Top Bottom