Slightly panicked: Starting to build our Coop...just got 13 Chicks!!!

Pics
I like his coop too. I think I once described it as a surgical suite. Nothing like the functional stuff I build. Regardless, he totally outpro'd me building that coop.
/Humbly bows

Oh it's no surgery suite like some of those that won awards. It's fully utilitiarian with the knowledge that in 10-20 years from now if there are different ownders they can adapt it to other use as who know what.

In all sincerity, thank you very kindly. I admit to getting stuck in idea land or paralysis of analysis occasionally too.

Anybody know the "rule of thumb" on when baby chicks should be transferred from a brooder into a full blown coop? 6 weeks, 8? 10 weeks? Or sooner? A few of ours are very active and flying up to the top of the water container and feeder. We were told they were 2 weeks last week, so this should be their 3rd week. They seem older. We could also put the familiar brooder inside the coop for a week when the time comes? What age is good for putting them in coop? *crossing fingers we'll have it done by then*

Well... with no adult chickens and the ability to run power out, day 1.

Otherwise I wean off heat at 3-4 weeks and they get locked out of brooder at that point.

My 3 guineas and 5 pullets from TSC are at 4 weeks old and I havent started building yet!

I started taking mine outside at 3Wo during the day, keeping them inside a very large puppy pen with a mesh over the top. I move the pen to a different spot every day, so they can get a fresh patch of grass. It’s a lot of hassle to wake up so early (I’m *not* a morning person) but it’s totally worth seeing them chase each other around and flapping around with so much energy. You’ll never see that amount of activity in the brooder. After a week, it’s become routine, and the birds get very excited every morning when I show up at the brooder to shuttle them to the pen. Even the guineas who squawked and struggled so much at the beginning put up little resistance to being picked up and transported.

When the sun starts to set I bring them back in to sleep in the brooder (around 2x4ft). They pretty much settle right down to bed, it’s funny to head them squabble as they jigsaw themselves into the perfect sleeping position. This routine definitely helps to keep the smell down. Sometimes when I can be bothered to sit outside and supervise, I let them forage outside of the pen ( I bribe them back in with some white millet when I need to leave.)

I just need to get some exterior woodscrews and I can finally get started on the building!

Yes, we know this is bass-ackwards; we got the cart before the horse or the chicks before the coop. Whatever. But Friday afternoon we brought home from Tractor Supply, 13 two-weekish old chicks and set them up all happy in the brooder (4 x 2.5 ft metal trough). Oh are they hilarious to watch. Such personalities!

Welcome! I like your cute little ones! If that is your brooder pen you should be fine until your coop gets ready at 8 weeks. However, trust me at that time with 13 you will be ready to put 13 into a coop and run by that time. I know. I have 9 9 week old rather large breeds that like to eat and poop and due to the Independence Day holiday we got delayed on getting metal in addition to the pandemic and everyone buying chickens up and hardware cloth so we are a little behind with our coop and run getting completed. I hope you can get all your materials found or ordered and shipped into you or purchased near you in time for when you need them so that you won’t have to be delayed. I wish you the very best of luck with your flock and your construction project!
Pam

We had watched a gazillion videos on coop building and read as many articles, so we have been developing and planning for about 7-9 months. Dear Hubby is an engineer, so he does a lot more planning and thinking and planning and thinking before picking up a hammer and saw. We purchased lots of lumber and OSBs. And more saws and tools. We have the initial coop frame in placed, leveled and ready for the build. Now we are MOTIVATED.

Coop will be 8 x 8, with a 8 x 20 foot run. We live in the country on a 20 acre farm (no livestock), so space and zoning is not an issue.

We figure we have about 6 weeks before we NEED to get them into the coop, even if still in the brooder within the coop. Maybe that's not an accurate guesstimate. ??One concern I have -- will 13 chicks outgrow the brooder before 6 weeks is up? I'm thinking yes. They're already very active, flap around, and cuddle a lot, but I know they grow fast. I could see them growing so fast they'll need to be separated or something before the coop's ready. We might have to make a 2nd makeshift brooder. I don't know what do you think? All pullets allegedly.
We have:
  • 1 Rhode Island Red
  • 1 Production Red (similar to RI Red? Not sure)
  • 2 Amauracanas
  • 3 CA white leghorns
  • 3 Isa Browns
  • 3 Golden Sexlinks (cross of Golden Campine? Not sure)

So that's our little flock. They are adorable, of course. Funny as heck. Hopefully I can attach some pix. Thoughts? Advice? Back in May I introduced myself as a newby in KY, new farm owners & retirees, with hopes and dreams of getting chickens. And here we are. ;):eek::wee

Well... with no adult chickens and the ability to run power out, day 1.

Otherwise I wean off heat at 3-4 weeks and they get locked out of brooder at that point.
Makes sense, thanks! We're into week 3 and using the heat lamp off and on. Plus it's hot out here - 80s to mid 90s, so they'll stay warm. if anything, overheat.

My 3 guineas and 5 pullets from TSC are at 4 weeks old and I havent started building yet!

I started taking mine outside at 3Wo during the day, keeping them inside a very large puppy pen with a mesh over the top. I move the pen to a different spot every day, so they can get a fresh patch of grass. It’s a lot of hassle to wake up so early (I’m *not* a morning person) but it’s totally worth seeing them chase each other around and flapping around with so much energy. You’ll never see that amount of activity in the brooder. After a week, it’s become routine, and the birds get very excited every morning when I show up at the brooder to shuttle them to the pen. Even the guineas who squawked and struggled so much at the beginning put up little resistance to being picked up and transported.

When the sun starts to set I bring them back in to sleep in the brooder (around 2x4ft). They pretty much settle right down to bed, it’s funny to head them squabble as they jigsaw themselves into the perfect sleeping position. This routine definitely helps to keep the smell down. Sometimes when I can be bothered to sit outside and supervise, I let them forage outside of the pen ( I bribe them back in with some white millet when I need to leave.)

I just need to get some exterior woodscrews and I can finally get started on the building!

Sounds like a very good routine that is working well! We just started our first outdoor adventure today. I'm sitting next to the pen (an hour now) and they're doing all their chickie stuff in a 5x 5 pen in the grass. They seem very comfortable and happy. Since we don't have a cover and we have many aggressive predators, I'll stay right next to them. Their outside playtime is my relaxing entertainment time.

Was trying to post a couple pix if our first outdoor adventure. I'll try again. Very slow on my phone. 20200715_150338.jpg 20200715_150349.jpg

Back
Top Bottom