Slightly panicked: Starting to build our Coop...just got 13 Chicks!!!

Oh yes they will. I like flighted breeds so they outgrow brooders in about 2 weeks. Even those TSC 150 gallon galvanized things aren't holding chicks for long.
Must be doing something wrong, keep trying to reply and it doesn't show up. Anyway, yes, thanks that's what we figured. Now on to Plan B for temporary brooder housing.

Thank you for the good tip! am checking out that puppy link. Watermelon boxes also may have some possibility...thanks for the ideas!

The link is to the absolute biggest puppy pen I could find for our giant pup.
IMG_20200103_113549.jpg
NOT the bloodhound obviously but you can see its size in relation to the sofa arm.
Each panel is about 2'wide x35"tall.

Ours has been through 2 giant puppies now. I don't like the tiny door so I pull a connection pin and open the whole panel.

Another option.....not as portable.....is to build a giant brooder with wire and 2x2 lumber.

IMG_20200331_112828.jpg
This is my starter brooder....just 2'x4' and 2' tall. Thing is when building one you can customize the size.

Oh yes they will. I like flighted breeds so they outgrow brooders in about 2 weeks. Even those TSC 150 gallon galvanized things aren't holding chicks for long.
For the record, you are absolutely right! It's a 2 x 4 ft galvanized trough and they are really outgrowing it fast! After only 4 days. One that we have named Amelia (Earhart) flies up to the top of the water container and the feed container and roosts there. I sure HOPE she's a hen and not a rooster. She slept on it part of last night. Several of them are flying around the brooder just to show off. So yesterday Matt went into the shop and built a 3 x 5 ft frame 3+ ft tall, for a brooder, which we're going to cover with hardware cloth and put in the garage. He's putting a door on one end so we can get in (crawl) to change feed water and shavings. I have misgivings about putting it in the garage, but it's an almost 3 car garage with only one car using it, plus lawnmower and Mule. It's got two windows with screens. we're putting a security camera in there because we do have raccoons, foxes, hawks, and other chicken eating varmints around here. Anyway, yes, they need more space already.

Last edited:
Yep, we look forward to the blue eggs. Easter Eggers, huh? Is that a breed or another name for Americaunas?

Ameraucana is a specific breed with show standards. Easter Egger is any crossbred chicken with a good genetic chance of laying a blue or green egg.

Some people say that all hatchery Ameraucanas are actually "just" Easter Eggers but that's not necessarily true -- some hatcheries sell both kinds even if their Ameraucanas aren't necessarily show quality.

For backyard purposes, Easter Eggers can be better because true Ameraucanas lay smaller eggs less often.

The link is to the absolute biggest puppy pen I could find for our giant pup.
View attachment 2240750
NOT the bloodhound obviously but you can see its size in relation to the sofa arm.
Each panel is about 2'wide x35"tall.

Ours has been through 2 giant puppies now. I don't like the tiny door so I pull a connection pin and open the whole panel.

Another option.....not as portable.....is to build a giant brooder with wire and 2x2 lumber.

View attachment 2240751
This is my starter brooder....just 2'x4' and 2' tall. Thing is when building one you can customize the size.

Yes! Your point about building a temporary brooder custom size is exactly right, that's what we did. Since we are in the process of building the coop we have extra 2 x 4's and OSB panels, and hardware cloth laying around.
So yesterday Matt went into the shop and built a 3 x 5 ft frame 3+ ft tall, for a brooder, which we're going to cover with hardware cloth and put in the garage. He's putting a door on one end so we can get in (crawl) to change feed water and shavings. I have misgivings about putting it in the garage, but it's an almost 3 car garage with only one car using it, plus lawnmower and Mule. It's got two windows with screens. we're putting a security camera in there because we do have raccoons, foxes, hawks, and other chicken eating varmints around here. Anyway, yes, they need more space already. So we figured 15 square feet should last them a little while until the coop is done and they are ready to graduate. We've got one that already flies to the top of the water container and feed container. She's hilarious. We call her Amelia (first flight).
Anybody know the "rule of thumb" on when they should be transferred from a brooder into a full blown coop? We could also put the familiar brooder inside the coop for a week when the time comes? What age is good for putting in coop? *crossing fingers we'll have it done by then*

Back
Top Bottom