1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Slightly tinted egg with gray speckles?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zooweemama, Nov 18, 2012.

1. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Below are my listed breeds. I recognize 2 of the eggs as my Pekins eggs- large kinda round and white. Almost daily I get a slightly gray/green egg with gray green speckles. You really notice it a lot when it's next to the Pekins eggs but it is not super vivid. Do any of the ducks I have lay speckled eggs? It's very odd but very consistent almost every single day. I will attach an image right under this post.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  2. zooweemama

[​IMG]
    It's not dirty - it's speckles on the egg.

Excuse my typos. Sent from my iPhone.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    we get various shades on some of the eggs. The french white muscovy give an off shade of "green" sometimes a Silver Appleyard will have an egg not exactly white. No real way to know who is laying it unless you isolate the ducks.

4. Chicken Crazy12

Chicken Crazy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Could be from a Runner. We had a hen that you could point out her egg every day because it had the specks on it just like this egg only on a pale green shell. Some of the other runners laid white eggs or just plain green eggs but she always had specks on her eggs. She was just a production runner but a great layer.

5. zooweemama

Thanks! We have 1 runner laying and 1 not yet laying (according to her pelvis measurement). So it could be her. I know it's not the Pekin eggs. I didn't even know ducks could lay speckled eggs honestly. My layers that are not the Pekins all leave behind a very thick bloom on their eggs too.

Excuse my typos. Sent from my iPhone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by