slightly urgent, fox attack last night lost a duck

imjustleo

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2019
hello, last night my mum forgot to shut the door on the ducks coop/ run and sadly a fox got to one of them. the other appeared unharmed (i only had a few minutes to check on her before college i will do so as soon as i return home) my mum has been updating me on how she is doing. so far she has only drank, is super quiet and confused and seems wobbly/ weak
we are looking into getting another duck for her. one of my friends has chickens and we were going to hatch one of her eggs (so it would be part of her and part of the one i lost) however i know that will take at least a month and then extra time as you can’t put them in the garden straight away. another option is getting another duck which i am looking into but for the time being its just her and i’m super worried. if anybody knows of anything i can do to keep her feeling safe and help her recover emotionally it would be greatly appreciated. i am thinking of having her inside the house and thankfully i am off college for christmas holidays so she isn’t going to be alone but i’m thinking of when i go back :(

hello, last night my mum forgot to shut the door on the ducks coop/ run and sadly a fox got to one of them. the other appeared unharmed (i only had a few minutes to check on her before college i will do so as soon as i return home) my mum has been updating me on how she is doing. so far she has only drank, is super quiet and confused and seems wobbly/ weak
we are looking into getting another duck for her. one of my friends has chickens and we were going to hatch one of her eggs (so it would be part of her and part of the one i lost) however i know that will take at least a month and then extra time as you can’t put them in the garden straight away. another option is getting another duck which i am looking into but for the time being its just her and i’m super worried. if anybody knows of anything i can do to keep her feeling safe and help her recover emotionally it would be greatly appreciated. i am thinking of having her inside the house and thankfully i am off college for christmas holidays so she isn’t going to be alone but i’m thinking of when i go back :(
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry for your loss :hugs

The wobbliness/weakness is concerning. Can you or Mum go check her over carefully for any injuries? She may have also hurt herself during the attack, sometimes in a panic animals can run into walls, get hung up in fencing, etc.
See if she will drink for you. If you have any poultry vitamins - add those to her water. Hydration first, then see if she will eat.

Was the duck that was killed her mate (drake)? So her eggs are fertile correct?
Is your friend going to hatch the egg in an incubator or does she currently have a broody hen that is sitting?

Welcome To BYC

The wobbliness/weakness is concerning. Can you or Mum go check her over carefully for any injuries? She may have also hurt herself during the attack, sometimes in a panic animals can run into walls, get hung up in fencing, etc.
See if she will drink for you. If you have any poultry vitamins - add those to her water. Hydration first, then see if she will eat.

Is your friend going to hatch the egg in an incubator or does she currently have a broody hen that is sitting?

i’m going to do so, i don’t get home for another hour
right now she is in her coop, we are thinking maybe she’s really worn out- she is currently drinking which is good, i don’t have any vitamins would acv be alright?
and yes her mate was a drake and my friend has broody hens
thank you so much for responding

i’m going to do so, i don’t get home for another hour
right now she is in her coop, we are thinking maybe she’s really worn out- she is currently drinking which is good, i don’t have any vitamins would acv be alright?
and yes her mate was a drake and my friend has broody hens
thank you so much for responding
I would just give her plain water then.
When you get home, check her out really well and let us know what you find.

That's very sad that she lost her mate, she likely is very confused. I'm sure others will chime in, but I "think" that if she was mated recently, she should still be able to fertilize her eggs for several days - if she lays any eggs within a few days, you may want to save those for incubating too.

i’ll keep you updated on how it all goes
and i’m aware of that and will keep those eggs
thank you so much:)

Welcome To BYC

update: she is still wobbly on one side as she has a small minor injury under her wing. she is inside and has access to water and food, it’s minor so we are going to bathe it and put antiseptic on. no other injuries i can see

update: she is still wobbly on one side as she has a small minor injury under her wing. she is inside and has access to water and food, it’s minor so we are going to bathe it and put antiseptic on. no other injuries i can see
She may be in a shock. It's good that you found the injury. Sounds like you are taking care of that. Hopefully she will perk up soon.

Back
Top Bottom