slime in chickens throat? is it dangerous?

Haru

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2024
Hello! i recently noticed that my hen had weird slime in her mouth and seemed very bothered by it. she had some trouble swallowing her food, but after she ate and a few minutes had passed she felt already a little better. Shes very active and behaves like a normal healthy chicken (besides the weird slime in her throat). i tried reading some articles and most claimed she might have a gapeworm or a throat infection. im taking her to the vet on friday, however i doubt any of the veterinarians will find anything. i dont have any bird experts anywhere close by and im afraid they dont really know how to handle chickens at all.

is there anything i can do to help my chicken by myself? i will take her to the vet regardless just to make sure however id be glad recieve any advice. thank you in advance!

Clear slime? Did you notice this right after she was drinking water?

Ordinarily, slime is not a normal occurrence, no. But chickens can kind of spit up water if they drink a lot at once and it sometimes -looks- like a clear slime. This can happen more easily if they are picked up right after drinking and the crop is pressed on. The spit up isn't a big concern if it's rare, but if she's showing signs of difficulty eating or this occurs frequently I'd do a mouth and throat visual exam to see if you spot anything out of the ordinary in there...

If you see yellow growths, or the mouth seems to retain slime in it, you more likely have an issue.

I'd also check that her crop is completely empty tomorrow morning so you can rule out a sour/impacted crop contributing to difficulty eating/swallowing.

Clear slime? Did you notice this right after she was drinking water?

Ordinarily, slime is not a normal occurrence, no. But chickens can kind of spit up water if they drink a lot at once and it sometimes -looks- like a clear slime. This can happen more easily if they are picked up right after drinking and the crop is pressed on. The spit up isn't a big concern if it's rare, but if she's showing signs of difficulty eating or this occurs frequently I'd do a mouth and throat visual exam to see if you spot anything out of the ordinary in there...

If you see yellow growths, or the mouth seems to retain slime in it, you more likely have an issue.

I'd also check that her crop is completely empty tomorrow morning so you can rule out a sour/impacted crop contributing to difficulty eating/swallowing.
the slime is rather white and sticky from what ive seen. she tried to clean it herself ,but it didnt go away. i wanted to look into her throat earlier but she just wouldnt let me. i look tomorrow again if i can see any signs. Thank you very much!

the slime is rather white and sticky from what ive seen. she tried to clean it herself ,but it didnt go away. i wanted to look into her throat earlier but she just wouldnt let me. i look tomorrow again if i can see any signs. Thank you very much!
Totally understand, looking in my roo's mouth recently was a two-person job! If you can enlist someone to help, definitely try to get pictures to post; pictures always help improve the feedback you get.

Do her eyes look clear (no bubbles, regular color and shape)? Does she rattle at all when she breathes or have a snotty nose?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/slime-in-beak.1262440/

This thread seems useful and mentions some potential conditions/how to treat, although I'd get input from one of the actual experts first (I'm still learning!)

This quote in particular may help the most with how to do the mouth exam more easily:
Greetings Angie123,

I would start by checking the hen's mouth.

You should restrain the hen by wrapping her in a bath towel. Then, quietly talk to the hen, while stroking her wattles, to calm her.

Gently, but firmly, open her beak and look inside her mouth. Are there any white, grey or yellowish growths? Try to also look into her throat. Growths may be causing her not to be able to swallow.

It's possible for her to have either Thrush or Canker. Thrush can cause drooling, and mucus, "slime".

Copper sulfate in the water will treat both conditions, and Nystatin oral suspension, or Miconazole Nitrate if it is Thrush/yeast infection (candidiasis), or, Metronidazole if it is Canker (trichomonosis).

Both conditions are similar in symptoms.

If you can't take her to see a vet, for what ever reason, we will do our best here at BYC, to offer suggestions.

Here are some websites to help you.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/canker
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/candidiasis

I am not a vet, just a chicken keeper like you. So, I am just suggesting a starting point, to figure out what is making your hen sick. Without photos of the poop, I think the mouth is a good place to start.

God Bless :)

If you can get some help to hold her, I would look into her beak with a flash light or your phone light, and if possible open the beak with your finger and take a picture. Look for mucus, white material or yellow patches, and smell if there is an odor. Watch to see if mucus is draining from the sinus cavity into the beak, forcing her to make swallowing motions or to shake her head. Then get back to us. Below is what it should normally look like:
https://mikethechickenvet.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/beak-and-tongue.jpg

Totally understand, looking in my roo's mouth recently was a two-person job! If you can enlist someone to help, definitely try to get pictures to post; pictures always help improve the feedback you get.

Do her eyes look clear (no bubbles, regular color and shape)? Does she rattle at all when she breathes or have a snotty nose?
oh for sure! im sure ill be able to get my friend to help me tomorrow with it. this hen in particular is just very adrenaline driven :)

her eyes arent bubbly at all and she looks perfectly healthy. its only the slime part in her mouth. im not sure if she was having troubles with breathing because she did have her beak open. however she wasnt breathing any heavier than usually, so im not so sure.

If you can get some help to hold her, I would look into her beak with a flash light or your phone light, and if possible open the beak with your finger and take a picture. Look for mucus, white material or yellow patches, and smell if there is an odor. Watch to see if mucus is draining from the sinus cavity into the beak, forcing her to make swallowing motions or to shake her head. Then get back to us. Below is what it should normally look like:
thank you for the help! i will try to do this as soon as possible tomorrow :)

i checked her beak this morning and it does look like in the picture. I feel like this happens to her once in a while but the next day its completely gone again :O

she shook her head from time to time earlier but then stopped again not doing it for the whole rest of the day

Back
Top Bottom