Slipped tendon in 10 day old chick!

Beth Kane

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2020
Was fine for the first week, then displayed spraddle leg which worsened to swollen hock and foot facing backwards! Have tried everything ...hobbles, splint and tape wrapping on hock ,plus 36 hours in a chick chair...no difference! Am desperate..... any suggestions ?

Attachments

• IMG_20200929_114147.jpg
    IMG_20200929_114147.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20200930_103410.jpg
    IMG_20200930_103410.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 41
Was fine for the first week, then displayed spraddle leg which worsened to swollen hock and foot facing backwards! Have tried everything ...hobbles, splint and tape wrapping on hock ,plus 36 hours in a chick chair...no difference! Am desperate..... any suggestions ?
Spraddle legs, & slipped tendons are 2 different things.

Can you get a good picture of your chick's Ankle/Hock?

That doesn't look to bad. One treatment you can do is get the tendon back in place, & splint the ankle, or wrap it.

The important thing is having to adjust it every day as the chick grows.
Thanks very much! I will continue with that ....I took today's splint and wrapping off to take the picture ! Will re wrap now....
This is her normal standing position with foot turned backward....but I'm starting to think it is better than it was yesterday!
Appreciate your help!👍

Attachments

• IMG_20201001_133456.jpg
    IMG_20201001_133456.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 41
Thanks very much! I will continue with that ....I took today's splint and wrapping off to take the picture ! Will re wrap now....
This is her normal standing position with foot turned backward....but I'm starting to think it is better than it was yesterday!
Appreciate your help!👍
It looks alot worse with that view.
Do you know how to get the tendon back in place?

It looks alot worse with that view.
Do you know how to get the tendon back in place?
Yeah the angle is quite crazy!
I have basic YouTube instructions on adjusting the tendon.....I can feel it moving, but I can't tell whether it's stayed in place once I've wrapped .
Today I have e held her on my lap a lot with both feet and hocks in the correct position hoping that resting like that will help her recover!
She is eating and drinking well, which is great!

Yeah the angle is quite crazy!
I have basic YouTube instructions on adjusting the tendon.....I can feel it moving, but I can't tell whether it's stayed in place once I've wrapped .
Today I have e held her on my lap a lot with both feet and hocks in the correct position hoping that resting like that will help her recover!
She is eating and drinking well, which is great!
If she gets partially corrected, you may end up with a Gimpy chicken like I have. Gimpy legged chickens will live a normal life, but won't be able to free range due to the disability.

Back
Top Bottom