Slipped tendon? Spraddle? W/ knot on joint clear oozing

msheppard0728

Chirping
Jun 6, 2020
New baby chick owner...one of my little girls needs help with her leg. I’ve tried to research but still unsure how to help her. Did a hobble for 3 days. No improvement. Have a chick chair ready and all other symptoms match slipped tendon except a knot on the outside of the joint with a small amount of clear ooze. 🤷‍♀️😫
4B4E4D75-17BD-4ED3-BD80-73A72F435A18.jpeg
D409B4CA-CA74-47A8-A66D-966A928699E0.jpeg
4042A20D-4E87-46B5-B529-8CF994030F56.jpeg

1w5d old chick...I’m a brand new chick owner but I think from all the info I could find she either has spraddle leg or a slipped tendon (leaning more towards slipped tendon unfortunately). I have a chick chair ready and tried to watch all the videos I could find on putting it back in place but still not sure that’s it due to the knot on the joint. There’s definitely swelling compared to other leg but this knot keeps scabbing over due to a clear ooze coming from it. Very small amount.
She is still eating and drinking. But I feel like it’s getting harder and harder for her to get around. She chirps constantly unless she finally gets comfortable and no other chicks are moving or chirping. She sleeps great in my hand (small towel) on her back.
She’s on starter feed. Garlic, ginger root and acv in water. Did some store bought electrolytes and vitamin water today (this made her poop different...advice on giving this? Add drops to water or can I give it to her directly through dropper?)

With about 5 hours off, she’s been in a bandaid hobble for 4 days. Again...I think it’s gotten worse. 😫 Won’t put weight on that foot. Muscles in foot obviously don’t work like the other foot.

Please help...if I had a Dr. Pol or anyone in that ball park near us I would have taken her to them already. Called our local vet, they don’t see birds, referred me to this place 2 hours away and told me it would likely be expensive. 😕
C172CB7C-14A0-4670-AD8E-285AD8F11711.jpeg
F0362CB9-395A-451C-977D-1F40091933EF.jpeg
FAF73694-39BF-480B-BCF9-2A304318EE24.jpeg
D449EE7A-2289-4AA0-B955-F1B68E96DE4B.jpeg
38E7AA7A-2B3D-4E78-B3C0-501938DB60A2.jpeg

There’s definitely swelling compared to other leg but this knot keeps scabbing over due to a clear ooze coming from it.
Looking at the photos in your other thread, do both legs have a knot/lesion? Hard to tell.

Where did this chick come from?
Did the lesion/knot appear over the last couple of days or has it always been there?

Hard to know if the chick has slipped tendon or a leg bone deformity. The oozing joint really worries me.
Slipped tendon can be hard to correct and sadly some chicks do not make it. Chirping constantly, she is probably in pain/distress.

You can try wrapping the leg, but if it's a bone deformity, then usually those cannot be fixed. Can you feel the tendon out of place at all?

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/slipped-tendon

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/spraddle-slipped-tendon-swelling-clear-ooze.1384005/

Looking at the photos in your other thread, do both legs have a knot/lesion? Hard to tell.

Where did this chick come from?
Did the lesion/knot appear over the last couple of days or has it always been there?

Hard to know if the chick has slipped tendon or a leg bone deformity. The oozing joint really worries me.
Slipped tendon can be hard to correct and sadly some chicks do not make it. Chirping constantly, she is probably in pain/distress.

You can try wrapping the leg, but if it's a bone deformity, then usually those cannot be fixed. Can you feel the tendon out of place at all?

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/slipped-tendon

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/spraddle-slipped-tendon-swelling-clear-ooze.1384005/

No knot on the other side. Got her from southern states. The knot has been there since we got her... We’ve had her a week now. But it has definitely gotten bigger. Sadly I think it got bigger after the couple days I had her hobbled still thinking it may have been spraddle leg ( I had not yet found info on slipped tendons at that point 😢).

Ive got her wrapped now...and trying to work thru issues with the chick chair. She’s not fond of it but will calm down if I have a small sweat type towel partially over top of her while sitting in it. She’s a nuzzler 💟 But I made the leg holes too big and she nuzzles it tries to get out and puts her head through the leg hole. I’ve currently got her out (fed and watered her... a she’s still doing these things beautifully). And I’m going to attempt another sling to put her in. But I think the foot is swelling now too. 😫 Attaching more pics in chronological order from today.
A7179D4D-4AC4-4882-9C78-9344FD2B2BE5.jpeg
A836A20D-B27D-4AFC-B761-6302E6F48F03.jpeg
21217262-AD5F-4859-925C-B4F42E66C59A.jpeg
78B27B93-C839-496F-813A-B6C650124219.jpeg
6FF1ACE5-F48F-47F0-AAD6-7FD0852DAB5A.jpeg

Also... sorry... I could not feel a slipped tendon but have no idea what I’m feeling for. But with some gentle pressing with fingers as I’ve seen in videos I didn’t feel anything moving. She will let me stretch it out in the correct position without pain or discomfort. But the leg really pulls toward the outside verses staying straight if that makes sense.

No knot on the other side. Got her from southern states. The knot has been there since we got her... We’ve had her a week now. But it has definitely gotten bigger. Sadly I think it got bigger after the couple days I had her hobbled still thinking it may have been spraddle leg ( I had not yet found info on slipped tendons at that point 😢).

Ive got her wrapped now...and trying to work thru issues with the chick chair. She’s not fond of it but will calm down if I have a small sweat type towel partially over top of her while sitting in it. She’s a nuzzler 💟 But I made the leg holes too big and she nuzzles it tries to get out and puts her head through the leg hole. I’ve currently got her out (fed and watered her... a she’s still doing these things beautifully). And I’m going to attempt another sling to put her in. But I think the foot is swelling now too. 😫 Attaching more pics in chronological order from today.View attachment 2183749View attachment 2183750View attachment 2183751View attachment 2183755View attachment 2183756

Also... sorry... I could not feel a slipped tendon but have no idea what I’m feeling for. But with some gentle pressing with fingers as I’ve seen in videos I didn’t feel anything moving. She will let me stretch it out in the correct position without pain or discomfort. But the leg really pulls toward the outside verses staying straight if that makes sense.
I know exactly what you mean. I had a wyandotte chick I helped hatch that had the same problem. I gave her vitamins, but I didn't know what caused it. I now think it was some sort of deformation. Her leg eventually straightened out until it was almost normal, but unfortunately she passed away due to unknown causes. Maybe try giving her vitamins that contain riboflavin?
I think the sling looks good, but I'm not expirienced with them.

EF4DB48C-6C46-4B51-AF2A-DDC3C2FD4591.jpeg
Update on our girl...
current status at 26-27 weeks old-ish...
She is thriving overall! She’s a happy girl who is spoiled rotten. She doesn’t venture far from the coop...and makes me a little sad she can’t roost with the others. But I’m so thankful the others have accepted her. We’ve got one bossy lady who gets a little snippy with her at times, but she’s smart and knows how to avoid crossing paths with that one. She’s gaining more confidence as we have some 9 week babies now in the coop. She likes to get a little bossy with them. Lol. Even the guineas know she means business and she has been known to put them in place when they are getting on her nerves. She’s the only one of that bunch that isn’t laying yet. From what I’ve read, it’s very likely she will one day but definitely expected to have been delayed from her siblings. Soooo so glad we didn’t make any rash decisions and gave her a fighting chance. She is definitely the favorite. 💟

Back
Top Bottom