Slipped tendon that turned to twisted tibia/my treatment

I let Answer go without the tape for last night and today. He seemed very depressed the last couple of days, just laying on the deck, seeming despondant. He perked up this afternoon and was out scratching in the garden, etc.

I brought him in tonight and taped his legs. His feet seem to be turning a bit, even the good leg, so I really tried to make sure his feet and legs were in correct position with pad between his hocks.
These pics are before I put pad between his hocks.

Last edited:

I let Answer go without the tape for last night and today. He seemed very depressed the last couple of days, just laying on the deck, seeming despondant. He perked up this afternoon and was out scratching in the garden, etc.

I brought him in tonight and taped his legs. His feet seem to be turning a bit, even the good leg, so I really tried to make sure his feet and legs were in correct position with pad between his hocks.
These pics are before I put pad between his hocks.

What you have there is a hobble brace, great for spraddle leg in newly hatched babies, not so great for TT. In TT the ankles will get further apart as the Hocks get closer together, you can see it in these pictures.

Both of those chicks were corrected, but when you tape you want your ankles as close as possible and your hocks separated more, so you want to be taping in the opposite way the TT is rotating the leg. I had the feet touching and about an inch of space filled with foam between the hocks. I cannot do it alone I need someone to hold the bird, but if it would help, I can tape one up tomorrow when my son is here to help and take pics as I do.
These are really old pics before I started cutting the foam into a wedge to keep the hocks farther apart.

The good news, if you can get him thru this you will never have to worry about him getting stressed when you have to catch and hold him for future medicating or first aid. The 5 I had to tape for a month, were the calmest tamest Peas I've ever raised. I can still walk right up to Roger and pick him up.

Dylansmom, I thank u for all your help. You don't need to help me because I can see exactly what needs to be done as of last night and also with your instruction.

I was trying to make it so he could still stand as he is pretty upset and depressed.
I am going out to buy some foam today. Do u think I should tape the Ankles together like u have yours?

Dylansmom, I thank u for all your help. You don't need to help me because I can see exactly what needs to be done as of last night and also with your instruction.

I was trying to make it so he could still stand as he is pretty upset and depressed.
I am going out to buy some foam today. Do u think I should tape the Ankles together like u have yours?

My foam wedges would actually extend the whole way down so there was some between the ankles as well, that way you can tape them really close together and not have to worry about them rubbing and getting sore. When mine were taped they could not walk, they would hop around and make very upset noises, but since we did it over night they would settle down as soon as it got dark. the inability to walk didn't bother them as much because they don't really do anything at night anyway. Once the sun came up we would untape and they could walk around with all the others.

Dylansmom, I had the ankles as close as I could get them where he could still stand. Since his feet are so big I had to give a little space. I know it doesn't look it but they are pretty close together. It was very difficult getting the tibia in correct position. I did put a micro plush thick sock tween hocks to spread them in better position after the picture. (I was embarrassed to take a pic with a funky looking sock between his legs and he had stopped cooperating, only so much a manly pea can take!)

U think tonite they should be closer?

Last edited:
Dylansmom, I had the ankles as close as I could get them where he could still stand. Since his feet are so big I had to give a little space. I know it doesn't look it but they are pretty close together. It was very difficult getting the tibia in correct position. I did put a micro plush thick sock tween hocks to spread them in better position after the picture.

U think tonite they should be closer?

I think the most important thing is to get the ankles closer together than the hocks are, that way you are taping the legs in a position that is the opposite of what the twisted tibia does to them.

Goodness
I was just rereading, up above I said you don't need to help me and I meant you don't need to tell me!!!!
1f601.png
. Sorry. Foot in mouth disease!

And thanks for the help!!!! Especially after it sounded like I said I don't need it!!! I definitely do!!!

I just want to tell you the help and encouragement is MOST appreciated!

Last edited:
Goodness
I was just rereading, up above I said you don't need to help me and I meant you don't need to tell me!!!!
1f601.png
. Sorry. Foot in mouth disease!

And thanks for the help!!!! Especially after it sounded like I said I don't need it!!! I definitely do!!!

I just want to tell you the help and encouragement is MOST appreciated!

No worries, I actually didn't take it literally, I assumed it was a typo.
hugs.gif

Dylan's mom,

Does this look more like what it should look like??

I didn't mean to have so much tape but first taping didn't get the tibia in right position!! Grrr

Dylan's mom,

Does this look more like what it should look like??

I didn't mean to have so much tape but first taping didn't get the tibia in right position!! Grrr

That looks great,
clap.gif
exactly like we did it. I would tape him up at sundown and then put him to bed, that way he won't get too upset that he can't walk, untape first thing in the morning. I know it was not a quick fix with ours, After about 2 weeks I had to ask my DH if he thought they looked better, I couldn't see probably because I was looking at them constantly. He said they did look better, after 3 weeks I could finally see it as well. The person who taught me, said if they are not corrected after 4 weeks they likely never would be. 4 of my 5 looked great after 4 weeks, the one who was the worst to start, still seemed to have a limp, so we just thought he would be that way forever, but it slowly went away as he grew, by 1 yr. we couldn't tell he had ever had a leg problem. Just please remember to temper your expectations, he is much older than mine were, but I will keep you both in my prayers.

Back
Top Bottom