Slipped tendon

maybe this will help
Thank you. I checked it out. I'm still unsure what's going on with my little 9-week pullet. I'm wondering at this point of she has spraddle leg that has just gotten bad. She was broody raised, so I didn't really have a lot of hands-on with her. However, looking back, she did seem to often be relaxing while the others bee-bopped all over the place. She can't really walk much at all, and her toes are scrunched up, but not curled. Tomorrow in going to give her some boots to go with the velcro hobble I put on her tonight.

So, brought the little girl to the vet yesterday. She has one pretty severely slipped tendon and another that goes in and out. She is splayed as a result. I have questions regarding treatment. 1) does she need to stay in the sling day and night? Her legs are quivering.
2) Should she have the hobble on while in the sling?

She is ten weeks old, and she seemed to move normally until a few days ago.

Also, I've been bringing her sister in to keep her company in the evening and through the night, but if she has to stay in the sling, what would be the point? They wouldn't be able to see each other.
20200716_200647.jpg

Can I ask for an update on your chick? We have a 1 week old I have been treating for spayed leg and today I realized it’s two slipped tendons. I have wrapped her and put her in a sling. I’m wondering if it’s too late for her?

hope your chick is doing better

Can I ask for an update on your chick?
She is improving day by day. She is getting to go out in the grass in the evenings now for an hour or so. She is still just a little bit clumsy with her right leg (slipped tendon side), but I'm pretty happy with her progress. The vet was not positive at all about her prognosis, but Ruby is proving her wrong.

Are you sure the tendon is back in place? This was the hardest part for me, to learn how it should feel. She's very young still, so she should be reasonably pliable, but she's also growing fast, so you have to be on top if things so her tendon keeps up with the rest of her growth.

Last edited:
Wow, she look great. Good job!

After playing with her leg I can feel the tendon move from side to side. I’m having a hard time wrapping it snug enough for the tendon to stay. Her poor legs are so small.

I did and this morning she had fallen through and one of her legs came unwrapped. We made the decision to put her to sleep. Poor thing was not having a quality life and from everything I read it’s very difficult to fix.

Now we have another chick that I was treating for 1 spayed leg now I think it’s a slipped tendon instead. This chick is doing well though. Hopping around and eating and drinking living with the other chicks. I’m thinking I should just let her be? She’s been like this for over a week. And I feel like I’m torturing them wrapping them and “trying” to help them And it doesn’t even stay. :(

Back
Top Bottom