Slitting turkeys

Buster52

Songster
10 Years
Jan 28, 2009
Geronimo Oklahoma
Okay, I'm not at all happy with how recent turkey killing has gone. With a hatchet, it takes a couple or three whacks for a big turk to kill it, which causes extra pain. For slitting, I think I am cutting in the wrong place, because it seems to take forever to die. I have taken up Jaku's practice of giving a good whack with a pipe in order to stun, but even that doesn't keep them out long enough.

I seem to recall someone mentioning there is a specific spot to slit for a fairly quick kill. Could someone please tell me where that is? Is there a video or maybe some pics somewhere showing the exact spot? I did find the following vid, but it is for chickens. Is it the same for turkeys?

Quick assistance would be appreciated. As usual, I am seeking last minute advice, as the deed is set for tomorrow.

Thanks.

We slit our Turkeys.

Right under the jaw bone on both sides.

It does take them a few minutes to expire. Mostly calm until they go to sleep, and then the nerves kick in.

Good Luck.

(graphic) hang your bird, cone or chain, take your finger and find the jaw bone just below, it will be an angle, then take your thumb and fore finger, place your thumb on the lower beak, fore behind the head just below where the spine and skull meet, slightly pull down and point the beak toward the ground, if your bird flutters release and redo, place knife at an angle,against the jaw bone or just above, cut, both sides,if your bird has a lot of loose skin do not pull up you will close the cut, back away, most of mine expire in 30 sec to 3 min, the bigger the bird the longer it takes

All very helpful posts, thanks.

Anybody who has gone three minute rounds in boxing knows that can be an eternity, so I'm going to try to avide slitting if it is possible to take that long.

I bought a clever, but think it is too lightweight and so will be returning it.

I found a much broader axe than the one I have now, plus it has a flat blade rather than curved. I'm going to give that a shot and see how it goes. If that doesn't work I'll try bidding on that battleaxe Steve linked to.
smile.png

Thanks again.

hummm Steve and a battleaxe against the turks... so much material, so little time.....

Buster, good luck tomorrow!

we slit ours - right under the jaw. you'll know you get it right when the blood 'spurts' (sorry graphic i know). and it shouldnt take too long.

HOWEVER

there is a struggling period, which i'm sure surprised you last time. so were we.

while there are a million ways to control a turkey during dispatching it, including hanging, putting it a big ol' killing cone or a feed sack with a hole to put the head thru, we kinda do it old fashioned we just hold the bird down by 'sitting' on it - knees on either side, hold neck outstretched (eyes covered - not yours, the bird's), and knife in the other hand. after a brief bleed out there is the 'struggling' period and just hold on. of course having a helper and an extra sharp knife is key.

good luck and let us know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom