Turkey poult’s hock has slipped tendon

CoastalWolfDen

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2023
Has anyone had any luck healing a turkey poult with a slipped tendon? Mines about 3 weeks old, give or take.

I’ve got her in isolation, popped the tendon back into place, giving her chicken starter (which I know doesn’t have enough protein) egg yolk (for extra protein), B complex, and nutri drench. It’s been about a week since we first noticed the problem. She’s been eating and drinking but isn’t walking or moving much. She flaps her wings around to move around her box but she’s not using either one of her legs - even the one that seems fine. When I touch her leg for bandage changes or to reposition her if she knocks herself over she cries and just seems to be in a lot of pain.

Am I doing all I can? Any chance she’ll pull through? How do I know if my leg wrap is actually keeping the tendon in place? It seems like it is but once I let go of it idk if it just slips out again.

I don’t want to cull her if she’s got a shot at recovery, but if I’m keeping her alive just for her to be dying slowly in pain…well, I’d rather make it quick.
41BEEF99-A5F9-46D7-940D-9AB0C01F1DCA.jpeg

Has anyone had any luck healing a turkey poult with a slipped tendon? Mines about 3 weeks old, give or take.

I’ve got her in isolation, popped the tendon back into place, giving her chicken starter (which I know doesn’t have enough protein) egg yolk (for extra protein), B complex, and nutri drench. It’s been about a week since we first noticed the problem. She’s been eating and drinking but isn’t walking or moving much. She flaps her wings around to move around her box but she’s not using either one of her legs - even the one that seems fine. When I touch her leg for bandage changes or to reposition her if she knocks herself over she cries and just seems to be in a lot of pain.

Am I doing all I can? Any chance she’ll pull through? How do I know if my leg wrap is actually keeping the tendon in place? It seems like it is but once I let go of it idk if it just slips out again.

I don’t want to cull her if she’s got a shot at recovery, but if I’m keeping her alive just for her to be dying slowly in pain…well, I’d rather make it quick. View attachment 3562779
Once you have the tendon back in place, you have to secure it there . The one case I saw where it was successful was an episode of Dr. Oakley Yukon Vet. She fashioned a splint and taped it in place.

Feeding it chick starter is compounding the problem because it doesn't have sufficient protein, lysine, methionine or niacin and thiamine.

Giving it hard boiled egg is good but it is not a high protein source. It is only about 12% protein. It is very good protein but not the high percentage that poults need.

The vast majority of slipped tendon end up in failure to fix the issue.

Once you have the tendon back in place, you have to secure it there . The one case I saw where it was successful was an episode of Dr. Oakley Yukon Vet. She fashioned a splint and taped it in place.

Feeding it chick starter is compounding the problem because it doesn't have sufficient protein, lysine, methionine or niacin and thiamine.

Giving it hard boiled egg is good but it is not a high protein source. It is only about 12% protein. It is very good protein but not the high percentage that poults need.

The vast majority of slipped tendon end up in failure to fix the issue.
Thank you, I just re-wrapped the leg with splints, turns out the tendon was still in place, but I feel better with it splinted.

What’s a better feed/source of protein? The only reason she’s not on turkey starter is that I can’t find any in feed stores in my area, and I had read somewhere that chick starter + egg would be sufficient. I’ll order some game bird starter on Amazon now; but do you have any recommendations for the meantime? I can start giving brewers yeast for niacin right away in addition to the egg, vit B, and nutridrench…anything else?

Thanks for the advice.

Thank you, I just re-wrapped the leg with splints, turns out the tendon was still in place, but I feel better with it splinted.

What’s a better feed/source of protein? The only reason she’s not on turkey starter is that I can’t find any in feed stores in my area, and I had read somewhere that chick starter + egg would be sufficient. I’ll order some game bird starter on Amazon now; but do you have any recommendations for the meantime? I can start giving brewers yeast for niacin right away in addition to the egg, vit B, and nutridrench…anything else?

Thanks for the advice.
A little late but when you can't find turkey feed locally, try Chewy.

Never tried it myself but some people use cat food to bring up the protein levels. I have no idea if it would also contain the higher levels of lysine and methionine that are also needed.

I took a poult to the vet for slipped tendon before. I think it was about the same age as yours. The vet wrapped it and gave meloxicam. The meloxicam is important to reduce swelling so the tendon can stay in place. If poult is not using either leg, it might be a cull. They grow super fast and legs need to hold a lot of weight.

Back
Top Bottom