Slobbering and generally unwell

EmmaG32

Hatching
Sep 14, 2017
hi there, I’ve had my small flock for just over a year. They are all bantom hens and have stopped laying after malting in Sept time. One hen seems to have gone down hill, when her head feathers came back I assumed that she was a little distant due to having less visibility. She’s started to have runny poo and I’ve had to wash her bum. When going to clip her head feathers so that she could see better I noticed that she’s slobbering and hardly noticed me holder her for her trim. She’s also a bit more smelly than normal and not the usual chicken smell. I’m not sure if there’s anything I can do to help her? Thanks

Thanks for your response. I’ve been looking on the web this afternoon and seem to fit the symptoms of sour crop. I’ve tipped the poor girl upside down and rubbed her crop. The most horrible brown liquid and bits I can’t identify came out. She didn’t resist and I’m really surprised how much came out. Oh and the smell No wonder she fell so bad. I’ve given her some ACV mixed with a little water by syringe and left her to rest over night.

Sounds like sour crop :( I'm glad you caught it, though! Earlier this year one of my hens had sour crop, after massaging her crop and tipping her upside down, she threw up- a lot! I did this a couple more times and she acted fine after that. Good luck with your girl!

Back
Top Bottom