Slow/bloody zip, can I do anything?

I guess this is a bit of unobsorbed yoke, but it was already hard/gummy by the time I started assisting. Does it look like his intestines are all internal? There's some red around the gummy yoke but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

I forgot to add the picture.
20211022_164328.jpg

Looks like just the leftover frass? Hard to tell... If there's no puddles under them, it's fine.. though my sticky chick did have some runny yolk or albumen seeping and, as mentioned, is perfectly fine.

Give the little one an hour or two for that navel to heal up properly. You can take a mug of warm water and a bit of 'no tears' shampoo or similar and let them have a soak to remove the caked albumen as it will glue up all that down.

Most important is that the eyes and vent are clear. The chicks do not like this, so you may not get it all off in one go. Mine had 3 baths over the course if a few days to get everything cleared and keep an eye out for pasty butt if their bum isn't fully fluffed up after.

And don't let them get too chilled from being wet. A blow dryer on low or an extra hot heat lamp can help them fluff back up without getting too cold.

Good job so far!

Oh, I did have one that made it out on their own, but spotted with a bit if blood - the navel never really closed properly and there was a large scab. That one did have congenital issues and eventually passed, but that one was not an assisted hatch. The navel scab was about the size of a sunflower seed - minus the shell.

I did use a bit of Dawn immediately after hatching because his down was already cement. He's flopping around the incubator now playing soccer with his potential brothers and sisters. His left eye was very sticky but that came off pretty well and he's opening and closing his eyes well. Thank you for your help! I just wanted to cry looking at him laying there after hatching.

He made no further progress, so I took the egg out wrapped in wet paper towel. He was completely stuck. I assisted and he's out but I had to clean muck/cement off his down. I feel awful. He's laying in the incubator chirping bit hasn't moved. :hit
Next time Don't apply water directly to the egg or wrap it in a wet paper towel because that dries the inside out even more.

I guess this is a bit of unobsorbed yoke, but it was already hard/gummy by the time I started assisting. Does it look like his intestines are all internal? There's some red around the gummy yoke but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.
Oh no.... I'm thinking the yolk sack busted and started to dry which is not going to be good.
Is he moving at all?

I did use a bit of Dawn immediately after hatching because his down was already cement. He's flopping around the incubator now playing soccer with his potential brothers and sisters. His left eye was very sticky but that came off pretty well and he's opening and closing his eyes well. Thank you for your help! I just wanted to cry looking at him laying there after hatching.
They r more tough than they look, give him time! Keep us updated.

For future hatches, once they start a full zip (like more than an inch or so of actual zipping) they should finish within an hour, 90 minutes at most. If they stop part way, you can break the “cap” off, but let them kick out of the bottom part of the shell on their own.
The pic looks like just the left over gunk, it should dry up and fall off on its own, but if it starts dragging it around by like a string, you can snip it with scissors. Just do it away from the body, leave a little bit attached, but remove the main bulk of it. What you leave will dry up quickly.

Back
Top Bottom