Slow crop? Respiratory infection? Both? Something else?

cqrmskbans

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2022
I got a 6-7 month old serama hen a few weeks ago and I'm trying to figure out what's going on for her.

She eats a LOT and her crop ends up getting huge compared to the serama rooster we have. She's been staying indoors and when she has a normal chicken sleep schedule, it takes more than 8 hours for her crop to empty, it's always empty by 12 hours. When she stays up late with us, it takes even longer to empty because she's up for longer and eating more. I tried to give her the exact feed she was getting prior but it didn't help. Because of this I suspect it might be slow crop. I don't think it's sour crop because it's only squishy when I feed her raw eggs, otherwise it's always hard until it empties.

Additionally, when her crop is full, she gurgles a lot and sneezes sometimes, especially when I rub her crop. When her crop isn't full, the gurgles and sneezes are much quieter and less frequent but not gone. This is what makes me think she might have a respiratory infection.

Her poops were initially off but have since become normal. She also initially ate her poop all the time but has since stopped. She's never seemed lethargic or anything, no eye or nose discharge.

Is there another illness that could cause all this that I am overlooking? Should I treat her for worms? Should I give her metoclopramide and denagard?

Please post photos of the pullet and her poop.

Does she not have access to the outdoors? A coop/run outside?
Do you provide grit (crushed granite)?
What do you feed, including treats?

Sounds like she's eating at all hours, so it would be hard to gauge function.

Have her go to "bed" at dusk. Don't provide food/water the whole night. Re-check her crop first thing when a chicken normally gets up - about an hour after dawn.

If the crop is not emptying, then this can cause some gurgling. Aspiration of fluids could cause sneezing. Pressing/rubbing the crop, especially upward can cause the contents to come up, chickens do not have a gag reflex.

You don't mention if she lays eggs.

See that she's eating a balanced poultry feed, has fresh plain water and poultry grit (crushed granite). Limit or eliminate treats for several days and see how the crop feels.

If her crop is not emptying, then read this article and begin treatment.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Update:

I tried giving her the same food as her previous person did and it did not help.

I was potentially going to try treating for sour crop, but her sneezing and gurgling were getting worse so I treated her with Denagard and she got better.

Update:

I tried giving her the same food as her previous person did and it did not help.

I was potentially going to try treating for sour crop, but her sneezing and gurgling were getting worse so I treated her with Denagard and she got better.
Glad to hear she's doing better.

If the symptoms resolved with Denagard, then likely she has Mycoplasma.

Hello, I was just educating myself by reading posts similar to issues I am currently having. I thought that Denagard is for worms… could you please educate us on why/how the Denagard works for Mycoplasma??
Denagard (Tiamulin) is an antibiotic commonly used to treat Mycoplasma in poultry. It's also used for various treatments in Swine.

I think possibly you have the name Denagard (Tiamulin) mixed up with the anthelmintic (dewormer) Safeguard (Fenbendazole). Two different products/medications used for different applications.

Denagard is an antibiotic (or techinically a "semi-synthetic derivative of the diterpene antibiotic pleuromutilin" See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/tiamulin) used to treat bacterial infections. Maybe you're thinking of the dewormer Safeguard?
Yes you are correct that is what I was thinking. Do you know where I can get Denagard quickly? I only have Tylan 50 injectable. She is going downhill today. Her crop is empty so so is no longer eating. I brought her inside just now & she is doing better being in the shower today so she’s going to stay inside until she is looking better.

Denagard (Tiamulin) is an antibiotic commonly used to treat Mycoplasma in poultry. It's also used for various treatments in Swine.

I think possibly you have the name Denagard (Tiamulin) mixed up with the anthelmintic (dewormer) Safeguard (Fenbendazole). Two different products/medications used for different applications.
You were correct. Thank you for pointing that out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom