Slow Crop?

LaurenDickens

Chirping
Jan 6, 2019
Hi All! I'm new to raising chickens and this is my first time posting on this site. I've read a bunch of topics related to the issue I'm having though, and figured I might as well put it out there!

I have an 8 week old Black Australorp with a distended, watery and grainy feeling crop. It has not gone down each morning. I'm unsure how long exactly it's been going on, but I noticed it when I picked her up about a week ago. I'm sure it's been going on for a bit longer.

I took her to the vet and they did an x-ray, and found lots of grit in the crop and gizzard. Her poop swab was clear of parasites as well. The gave me a medication that's supposed to increase GI function, but after a few doses and no improvement I'm seeking DIY solutions.

I brought her home and have been feeding her yogurt mixed with her layer feed, egg with olive oil, and water with apple cider vinegar. She eats, but not as well as she should be, and I definitely feel her getting skinnier. I also read about the monistat thing and have begun that treatment as well. So far only two doses and no huge breakthroughs.

Her temperament is okay, not completely lethargic, but definitely a little off. She pecks at the floor of the brooder and scratches her pine shavings like normal. (I brought her inside away from my other two chicks who are doing great out in the coop).

I've also tried to vomit her a couple times. The first time only what looked to be her feed mixture and water came up, no foul smell at all. The second time was less successful, but still a small amount of water and food came up, no foul smell or putrid color. She's pretty stubborn about vomitting, which again makes me feel like the crop isn't necessarily sour.

So I don't think she's sour...just really, really slow. I wonder if she picked up something she shouldn't have in the yard? I only let her out in short amounts of time, and always supervised. When I massage her it feels also though there is something that doesn't quite feel like grit in there though. Could that be causing the crop to swell? I have no idea. Any insights are appreciated!

I forgot to mention that she is pooping still, again not as much as usual, but something! Sometimes it's solid and normal looking, and other times it's a bit watery.

I never thought I'd get so attached to a chicken but I really want her to pull through! She's the friendliest in the flock.

Welcome to BYC. I would not try vomiting her any more since it can be very dangerous. Have you thought about treating her for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium?) Dosage is 10 ml of liquid Corid or 1 1/2 tsp of Corid powder per gallon of water for 5 days. It is safe for the other chicks. Do you think she could be eating pine shavings? I have never seen a crop problem in a chicken so young before. They may get slow crops with coccidiosis. Can you buy an inexpensive kitchen gram scale at WalMart and get a baseline weight on her?

Hi Eggcessive! Thanks for your reply.

You're right about the vomitting. Each time I felt terrible and it didn't seem to help much.

I haven't been concerned with coccidiosis since her poop sample came back clean.

It was very rainy here (austin, texas) for a few days so I'm wondering if she got a hold of something moldy that threw off her balance.

UPDATE: I checked her this morning and her crop is significantly less balloon like. Smaller, not completely empty, but feels more mushy and firmer than watery and boggy now. She's still eating the yogurt and layer mash and I'll continue the monistat and see how it goes.

I found a VERY large poo in her cage this morning as well. Hopefully all signs that whatever this was is passing.

Great article! Thank you.

Well, she's not eating a ton this morning. Put out the yogurt, layer mixture and some soft egg with olive oil, she pecks at it periodically. She does seem more thirsty that usual.

As she's been consuming things her crop has definitely ballooned up more, feels like a gases balloon. I'll continue with this regimen and if she's still not empty tomorrow morning, I will go to the feed store and try the Acified Copper Sulfate.

Thank you for your help, everyone.

Maybe this article from @TwoCrows will be of some help to you:
impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194

It sounds like she's doing better this morning, hope that continues. Best of luck!

What's really crazy about this article is that the picture of the chicken at the top looks EXACTLY like my lil Siouxsie (Named after Siouxsie and the Banshees).

I'm worried that there is something stuck in there that won't pass. She's had the same grit in her crop since I first discovered there was something wrong. When I feel around I can't tell if some of what I'm feeling is grit, a foreign body, or part of normal chicken anatomy. I wish I could get in there and just empty it for her, but I know home surgery is risky, and the vet quote for crop surgery was just not feasible.

Back
Top Bottom