Slow developer - or unusual breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by laurelcrown, Jun 3, 2012.

1. laurelcrown

laurelcrown Hatching

May 11, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I have 20 chickens, all about a month old. Most of them have developed feathers by now (as you can see on the chicken in the background), but one little guy is still mostly baby fuzz. She has big wings on the very ends of her wings, but not on her body like the others. We did get one "mystery chick" in our order, so she could be anything. Is she a type of breed that just develops slowly, or could she have a problem? Thanks in advance for the help with our "ugly duckling!"

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    As a rule, cockerals feather in slower than pullets. I'd lay odds your odd bird is an easter egger rooster.

3. ChickensOfPanem

ChickensOfPanem In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Lost in my books...
    I thought that the cocks would develope faster than the pullets? As for the breed, I'm not sure

4. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Songster

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Green legs, beard and muffs, patchy feathering, I say Easter Egger cockerel. Mystery chicks are most often boys the hatchery throws in as an "extra" for people.

5. I had a brahma rooster that did the exact same thing. As a warning do not think that because he is older that he doesn't need the heat, I learned the hard way. All of the others the same age were fully feathered, and so I moved them from the brooder to a bigger cage in the basement for transition, with no heat lamp. It did occur to me that he might not be ready yet because he was nearly bald, but I ignored my instinct. 4 days later I came home and he was dead for no apparent reason. I'm convinced it was my fault. No feathers needs heat!

6. Panth

Panth Songster

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Looks exactly like my EE cockeral. He was incredibly slow at feathering in even though the other 3 cockerals from the same feed store bin feathered in at the same time as the pullets.
    This is him at 9 weeks! He is 13 weeks now, and is JUST NOW starting to get his tail feathers in.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    EE Rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: