Slow drivers........

mom'sfolly :

Going below the speed limit isn't illegal. Tailgating won't make anyone go faster. But, people shouldn't block the road. Here in Texas, people on the backroads are very good about pulling over to let faster traffic go by. I love it when I later see the passing people pulled over for speeding.
tongue.png
I hate people who sit in the passing lane on a freeway going 5 mph under the speed limit; but I understand why people might go slower than the speed limit on an unfamiliar, winding 2-lane road. Just because you drive that road every day doesn't mean everyone else does.

As a crossing guard at my kids school, my current pet peeve is people who don't understand that the pretty flashing light means you go 20mph through the entire school zone, not just while you are waiting to pick up your own kid.

In Indiana, when says 20mph when school children present it means, while present and during school hours. No problem w/that.

If you are going slower than speed limit on 2 lane road, pull over. When I'm hauling seed, I'm constantly pulling over to let faster traffic go. I do live by my own quirks......​

I drive 35 miles each way to work and keep my cruise control on to help maintain my mpg's. I love it when I pass the same people, multiples times, in one morning, all while maintaining the same speed. The problem with my commute is that it seems like everyone in Texas wants to drive in the middle lane, irregardless of what speed they're driving. The speed limit's 70 and you encounter people going anywhere from 55 to 85 all in the same lane. There's three lanes people, pick the right one! I usually drive 5 - 10 over the speed limit and have never had a ticket...hold on...had to find some wood to knock on. I figure if I'm being passed on the left, but passing those on my right, I'm good. If I see a line of cars behind me or people are passing me on the right side, I move over. However, if I'm going over the speed limit and you tail me and there's a lane to the left to pass me, I'm not moving for you.

mom'sfolly :

Going below the speed limit isn't illegal.

Depends on where you are, and let's face it, if you going below the speed limit is impeding the flow of traffic, you are the one that will be causing accidents, not the people who drive faster, and thus you are the one who should be getting the ticket for reckless driving.

Speed limit 70 and everyone on the road doing 75-80, then along comes Slow-Poke Suzie doing 50 and making everyone hit their brakes? Suzie can be as self-righteous 'I wasn't speeding' as she wants, Suzie will be the one who caused the problem.​

Seriously, my husband saw a driver reading the newspaper one time.

I once saw a woman driving with one hand and using the other to try to change a diaper on a baby that was lying on the passenger seat. This was on I-95 on the Wash. DC beltway! No car seat to be seen anywhere in the car, either.

I was riding in a large truck and could see down into her car ... made me do a double-take when I saw that one.

I used to have to drive the beltway daily ... people reading books or magazines in four lanes of stop-and-go traffic was routine.​

Holy-moly!!!!!
Can any of you understand what the word courtesy means?

So far as I can see we have:
A responder that believes it is okay to drive aggressively, because they pay more attention.

We got one that thinks it is okay to speed because they drive 30 miles one way to work.disobeying traffic laws is the cost of doing business!
Never mind that the speedlimit is to designate the fastest safe speed in good driving conditions.

A few more that evidently think traffic laws were written to inhibit transportation.

All I can say is WOW!

Me? I know I am far from a perfect driver, drive the speed limit or there abouts. Try not to cause any one a problem. I don't text message, eat, read a book, watch tv or anything else. Stay pretty much in the right lane except when I occassionaly pass. Don't tailgate, or flash my highbeams at a slower driver. And yep--- every now and then I pull a boneheaded move like missing my turn or some other little blip, it's called being human.

Some of you guys need to go back and slowly read what ya'll wrote. Remember we have to share the road with everyone. That includes delivery trucks, frieght carriers, older, younger and unfamiliar drivers. Longstory short if you are in that big a hurry and you are going to get that upset maybe you need to depart earlier. But that would be taking responsibility, can't do that. Got to blame the other guy.

People, y'all have issues. What someone thinks is a safe speed someone else may not. Maybe some people drive for maximum fuel efficiency, and that ain't 75 mph.

Drive with courtesy.

Share the road, bikes, motorscooters, slow loads and old people. They have the same rights as you do.

Hang up the phone, put away the snacks, computer, makeup and newspaper....DRIVE! You do not need to multitask in the car.

For you habitual speeders (I tend to be one on freeways), don't be surprised when you get pulled over. And I'll repeat what I said to a friend who was going to get a weekday apartment because of a long commute and frequent speeding tickets....leaving the house 10 minutes earlier is cheaper and safer than speeding or renting a second place.

Last edited:
... and then there's the Volvo station wagon doing 45 mph in the middle lane of the freeway, the tail end inevitably covered completely with politically oriented bumper stickers.

mom'sfolly :

People, y'all have issues. What someone thinks is a safe speed someone else may not. Maybe some people drive for maximum fuel efficiency, and that ain't 75 mph.

Drive with courtesy.

Share the road, bikes, motorscooters, slow loads and old people. They have the same rights as you do.

Hang up the phone, put away the snacks, computer, makeup and newspaper....DRIVE! You do not need to multitask in the car.

My what interesting assumptions.​

Quote:
clap.gif
I used to have a lead foot also and considerable road rage during my long commutes....and then I grew up.
wink.png

With maturity comes the realization that I share the planet with many beings all moving in different directions. It takes awareness, courtesy, and responsibility for one's actions to avoid bumping into another person....especially in a metal container going 70 mph.

Tailgating, whipping out into a passing lane to avoid a slower driver, putting on your brights to signal your dissatisfaction with a slower driver in front of you, passing on the right, passing in a no passing zone, slamming on your brakes suddenly because you were following too closely, speeding of any kind.....all of these things cause accidents. You may want to blame it on the slower driver in front of you, but all of these things are performed by the person driving YOUR car. They are, therefore, your responsibility.

I get just as irritated with a slow driver who won't let others proceed normally. I get angry when someone pulls out in front of me in a dangerous manner. I get livid when the actions of other drivers endangers my family and I.

But acting out and deliberately trying to "get back" at those people in some manner by driving recklessly and aggressively.....it's just not smart and it can kill others, my family included.

Is it really worth it just so you can vent your feelings on the highway? I guess for some of you, that answer is YES. Me? I have far better things to do with my life....
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom