Slow growing breeds for meat - What breeds to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marans are a dual purpose breed. Lot's of meat! My rooster was about 9 lbs. Hens about 6.
I probably wouldn't eat them though they are more of a pet to me. They have good personalities, they are pretty colors, and their eggs are really pretty. I just started with them last spring I have Wheaten Marans

I probably wouldn't eat them though they are more of a pet to me. They have good personalities, they are pretty colors, and their eggs are really pretty. I just started with them last spring I have Wheaten Marans

Nothing wrong with having pets. I have a few!

That is what I keep most of my birds for. They are my best friends I couldn't kill them :(
Strange that you are in the meat forum LOL
Because meat breeds will not live a good quality of life. They will have health problems, be unable to walk, and eventually die anyway
And that's exactly why I don't care to raise CX any more. Mine were very friendly but not really healthy after 12 weeks. Had to starve the one I kept for breeding and she died at a year.

Nothing wrong with keeping them as pets (my main flock are pets). What's wrong is the owner of a store telling me how I should be using a product she sells, when I am not breaking any law. She's not an animal shelter, to be putting conditions on this; she's a merchant selling a product, and can't be telling me how I should be using that product once I buy it, or refuse me service because of her beliefs. Especially when there's no suspicion of animal cruelty, neglect, or anything like that. The birds would have a very good life, and the fact that they'd get eaten at the end is just a fact of life and not against any law.

Nothing wrong with keeping them as pets (my main flock are pets). What's wrong is the owner of a store telling me how I should be using a product she sells, when I am not breaking any law. She's not an animal shelter, to be putting conditions on this; she's a merchant selling a product, and can't be telling me how I should be using that product once I buy it, or refuse me service because of her beliefs. Especially when there's no suspicion of animal cruelty, neglect, or anything like that. The birds would have a very good life, and the fact that they'd get eaten at the end is just a fact of life and not against any law.
I totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom