Slow growing CX

gdrake_man

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
My first attempt at meat birds are my 8 CX (allegedly) from TSC, and they're growing VERY slowly. They're 8 weeks old and about 1.5 pounds.

It could be that it's a product of the way I'm feeding them. I feed my egg-laying hens an organic, non-gmo feed that I get from a local organic farmer friend, and I thought that it would be nice to use that as a base feed for my meaties. And since I knew the protein level of the layer feed wasn't high enough for the meaties, I mixed in enough crab meal (purchased from another organic farmer) to raise the protein to approximatley 19%. So they've been on this mix since they were born; out to pasture since about week 3. Maybe it's the feed...

Or, it could be that they're not really CX (but I wouldn't know the difference).

My original plan was to butcher on Memorial Day, but that obviously didn't happen with 1.5 lb chickens! And now I'd really like to butcher by the last week of June, but at this rate that'll be out of the question too.

It's not really a huge deal to me to let them go longer, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something terribly wrong... They seem very healthy, though...

Any thoughts?

A pic would be helpful, especially from the front to see the leg spread. It's hard telling coming from TSC. Sounds like they could be Leghorns. It is very common to see that one here.

Dollars to donuts , you got Leghorns... I process my Cornish X at 30-37 days of age and get 1 3/4- 3 lb Game hen carcasses. It would take another approx. 16 weeks to harvest each bird at @ 3.5lbs. I would cut my losses and process the roos now and make a bowl of soup out of them and keep any hens for future egg layers. Leghorn hens are great egg layers, better than any dual purpose hen! Good luck.

Thanks so much for your help - sure do appreciate it. The more I think at it/look at them, I'm thinking they're leghorns, but I'd sure appreciate your input.

86904_100_4795.jpg

Regardless of whether they're Leghorns or Cornish X's, how do I tell the roosters from the hens?

Definitely don't look like my Cornish X. I think they are White Leghorns. Cornish X's have way shorter and thicker legs!!! The roosters will probably be the ones with the more developed red comb and waddles. I'm just a beginner so this is just my opinion.
smile.png

Ha! That just about figures - we're going to have more eggs than we know what to do with! We've already got 6 red sex links, and we have 15 more hens coming later this month - 5 black australorps, 5 partridge rocks, and 5 buff rocks. I guess there are worse problems to have - maybe we'll just eat them anyway.

Thanks to all for all your help...

I laughed when I saw the leghorns - but I hope I'm laughing WITH you
smile.png

Will they do anything for you for the mistake? You've been putting $$ into what you thought was something else. It's nice to have the eggs and all, but it's got to be disappointing! You can sure eat 'em, but you're not gonna have much meat on those bones!

Maybe you could also sell some birds off to those who would want them for eggs?

Yeah, I'm laughing about it - kind of like, "Look what the stupid greenhorn did - it took him 8 weeks to realize his 1.5 lb. chickens weren't CX's!"

I may say something to someone at TSC; maybe not. I was definitely looking forward to trying out some home-raised chicken for the first time. But I'm not sure I even want new CX's now with the other new chicks coming soon. I was going to try to have these butchered before the chicks arrived becasue I didn't really want chickens of three different sizes in three different locations; I really don't need four!!!

Thanks again - it's good to know...

Just so TSC's not being drug through the mud too much - my wife explained what happened to the manager of the store where we bought them, and he gave her a gift card worth a few dollars more than the chicks cost to begin with. Suits me...

Thanks again for all of your help.

Not sure what the fate of the Leghorns will be yet. I don't even know how many hens/roosters I have right now, but time will tell...

Back
Top Bottom