Slow growing meaties from McMurry?

I have gotten Meaties from McMurray the last two years. The first year was 2 batches of 25 a week apart, straight run. The first batch was pretty consistently the same size for both the boys and girls up until the last couple of weeks. They dressed out about 5-6.5 pounds each. The other batch was actually all cockerels, now that I think about it, and they were not as consistent in size. In fact, I had a couple that didn't even dress at 3.5. They were all CRX Broilers.
So, last year, I got half Broilers and half Roasters. No size difference, not growth rate difference and all were straight run. However, I didn't get nearly the size that I did the fall before.
I ordered from Stromberg's this year, and so far, they all look like they are growing the same, but they are only a week or so old. That second batch from MM the first year, I could see noticeable difference in the runty cockerels right from the start. One I called Nugget actually had to brood with the purebred chicks because he was so much smaller than the other Meaties.

THAT is why I am working on my own strain of meat birds.
wink.png

Quote:
I would be very interested to hear more about this if you want to start a new thread. I doin't have much experience with breeding. Just let some banties have a brood once, that's it.
I would love to understand how it all works!

These birds are finally growing. They are pretty hefty. We have three boys and two girls and there is a noticable size difference. I think they are about 9 weeks now. We are looking at Thursday to cull them. Heck, if they're doing well maybe I'll wait a little longer.

Back
Top Bottom