Slow Growing Olive Egger Chicken

Nyla

Crowing
7 Years
Jan 3, 2017
Northwest, Indiana
Hello! I have a really slow growing Olive Egger chicken. Was hatched March 6th, 2017 at Cackle Hatchery. I ordered 10 (8 females, 2 males). All died except 1 female at arrival. USPS lost my chicks some how. Not Cackle's fault. I also ordered 4 Easter Egger Females from Cackle too. I placed the two orders separate, and they were shipped in separate boxes. My Easter Eggers arrived fine and on time. But my Olive Egger was all alone, so I put her with my Easter Eggers. They all eat the same feed , (DuMOR Chick Starter/Grower 20%) My Olive Egger girl is about 7+ weeks old now and growing slow. I know she is a hen because the two males had tape on their leg, and she didn't. She seems very small compared to my Eatser Eggers. This is my first time with Olive Eggers.

Will upload pictures soon.

-Do they grow slow?
-She is all black.
-Black legs

Hello! I have a really slow growing Olive Egger chicken. Was hatched March 6th, 2017 at Cackle Hatchery. I ordered 10 (8 females, 2 males). All died except 1 female at arrival. USPS lost my chicks some how. Not Cackle's fault. I also ordered 4 Easter Egger Females from Cackle too. I placed the two orders separate, and they were shipped in separate boxes. My Easter Eggers arrived fine and on time. But my Olive Egger was all alone, so I put her with my Easter Eggers. They all eat the same feed , (DuMOR Chick Starter/Grower 20%) My Olive Egger girl is about 7+ weeks old now and growing slow. I know she is a hen because the two males had tape on their leg, and she didn't. She seems very small compared to my Eatser Eggers. This is my first time with Olive Eggers.

Will upload pictures soon.

-Do they grow slow?
-She is all black.
-Black legs

Hey there, I'm so sorry that you lost 9 out of 10 chicks. That's awful. I don't have much experience, I'm raising my second batch of chicks now. My new chicks are 3 weeks old and they are an olive egger, an Easter egger, a Blue Ameraucana, and a Polish from My Pet Chicken. All of mine arrived very healthy and spry about 22 hours after being shipped, and the olive egger is growing at the same rate as all the others.

However, I will say that although they are all growing at the same rate, my olive egger has always been noticeably smaller than my Easter egger. All the Easter eggers I've had have started out huge and stayed larger than the other chicks. I'm pretty sure my olive egger is a cross between a Welsummer and a Cream Legbar ( she is a chick with chipmunk stripes, single comb, yellow legs).

So, your olive egger could just be naturally small. However, if she is not growing at the same rate as the others and isn't keeping up, is it possible she is stunted due to the trauma of being lost in the mail? Maybe she'll just always be a little smaller.

I'm glad you have one survivor at least! Good luck!

No problem! Yes I saw she was from Cackle when I was reading your post from a few weeks ago. I believed I was replying to you about a 14-week-old or so olive egger pullet of yours. Didn't occur to me this was a chick you didn't keep. :confused: Best!

Back
Top Bottom