slow queit and bumping into things

BriskRooster

Songster
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
yesterday i noticed one of our hens was a bit sluggish and wasn't eating much, today she seems to be slow still not eating much and stays back on the perch for awhile when we let them out, but once she came out she stumbles around walking into ledges and makes a very quiet 'peeeee--peeeeee---peeeeee' sound, and seems to have bad eye sight, if you swipe towards a chickens eye with your hand and stop just before you hit it a usual chicken with flinch and flap away, but with her she doesn't move a bit. she has always had good eye sight so what is this? thanks in advance!

Hello,

I'm not sure what this could be but I have read about a lot of chickens loosing their eye sight. I didn't know this was common but it seems like the majority of people on BackYardChickens have experienced this.

Hello,

I'm not sure what this could be but I have read about a lot of chickens loosing their eye sight. I didn't know this was common but it seems like the majority of people on BackYardChickens have experienced this.

strange... so what is the peee--peeee-peee sounds then? never herd of it. thanks

It is possible she is going blind. Maybe a bacterial infection caused it? Although, the stumbling around sounds like bumblefoot. I would suggest to check the pads of her feet. If the pads are pussy, you will have to treat her for bumblefoot by squeezing out the puss and putting antibiotics on it. If the pads are fine, she doesn't have bumblefoot. Most likely though, she is going blind. Hope this helps!

this morning i noticed black spots in her eyes, the spots aren't rounds they are random shapes, what could this be?

I'll try researching it for you...I think it's most likely a bacterial infection like I said above.

sorry didn't see you first post till now... yes i know about bumble foot her feet are fine, by stumbling i mean she walks into things and falls over, so can a bacterial infection create black specks in her eye(s)? they are not on the surface but seem to be imbedded about 0.5 mm. thanks for helping!

sorry didn't see you first post till now... yes i know about bumble foot her feet are fine, by stumbling i mean she walks into things and falls over, so can a bacterial infection create black specks in her eye(s)? they are not on the surface but seem to be imbedded about 0.5 mm. thanks for helping!

That's good that her feet are fine! I think so..I have a hen and she went blind in one of her eyes. Her eyes got very cloudy and I think it was a bacterial infection. I'm going to be researching it for you, I'll let you know what I find out! :)

That's good that her feet are fine! I think so..I have a hen and she went blind in one of her eyes. Her eyes got very cloudy and I think it was a bacterial infection. I'm going to be researching it for you, I'll let you know what I find out! :)

that for researching! did your hen recover quickly/at all?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom