Slow/Sour Crop

Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now -_- But, on the off chance it is bacterial my sister has some Tylan. I gave him some last night and he's perked up and has been trying to stand more and he's had two poops that I've seen today and neither were green.

*crosses fingers* I really hope it's not Marek's and that whatever it is the Tylan is working. He's even begun making a little noise again here and there.

(everything I read online lead to Merek's Disease, but her eyes aren't discolored).
If you are going to treat him with antibiotics, finish the whole course of treatment and give him the correct dosage.

What dosage are you giving?

Injectable Tylan50 can be given orally at a dose of .20ml per pound of weight 3 times a day for 5 days. If you can only give him 2 doses, up that to .30ml per pound.

If you are going to treat him with antibiotics, finish the whole course of treatment and give him the correct dosage.

What dosage are you giving?

Injectable Tylan50 can be given orally at a dose of .20ml per pound of weight 3 times a day for 5 days. If you can only give him 2 doses, up that to .30ml per pound.
It's the twice a day

Update:

Pumpkin has been trying to stand from time to time. He's been able to stand in front of his food and water for a minute or two before needing to sit down. He even has been getting up and moving around to a more comfortable position in his little bin. His comb no longer stays pale throughout the day, but will gain some nice color back from time to time when he is awake.

His poop still has too much liquid in it, but the brown color is at least half of whatever firm bits there are and there have been more firm bits than before. Almost every poop he does has a firm clump about the size of a chickpea. And when I say firm, I mean there is an actual shape to it, it's not just liquid, but most of them are still very, very soft. About like acrylic paint but not as thick (not like cecal poop, though he does have those poops).

His crop is back to normal, no balloon-like puffiness, he has been able to stay awake longer to eat and drink more as well.

I am still not ruling out Marek's. I am still preparing myself for if he dies, but for now I am enjoying seeing him have some life in him again as opposed to sitting there all day with his eyes closed and totally silent.

@Wyorp Rock

Hey! I just wanted to say thank you for all the help and then ask you what you feel full recovery time seems to be.

Wednesday was the last dose of Tylan and that day Pumpkin had taken to sitting more. He can stand, but he is either very weak or doesn't want to.

I feel like this may have a been a whole vitamin deficiency deal and so I'm thinking maybe he just lost so much stuff that he's got to recover all of that. I've been giving him a mix of electrolytes and probiotics to help. I can't remember the name of it, but I got it at Tractor Supply Co. It came in a bag and it smells like yummy vanilla cream.

He seems totally fine otherwise. His poop is brown again and firm, there is only the very slightest hint of extra liquid, so no more diarrhea. He is so vocal and has just been so cute ^_^ He's alert most of the day, though he does like to doze instead of get up and move around. I try taking him out of the hospital bin to give him room to move around in if he so chooses. I have tried tempting him with some meal worms as well. He gobbles them up as fast as possible if they're near him but he won't get up to go to them.

He doesn't seem depressed as he's super vocal and he seems to enjoy being near me. He makes the cutest trilling noises when I leave his sight and come back, almost like he's telling me off. Well he does it if I don't leave something on for him to watch lofl. He enjoys watching the cooking stuff I watch on YouTube. And when he's out of the bin, he likes to scootch up to the keyboard and lay against it and as I type he will start pecking keys and will stop once I do lol.

So yeah, it's just the walking thing. lol I feel like aside from keeping on making sure he gets some of the electrolyte/probiotic and giving him some vitamins I should like...exercise him or something *shrug*

It sounds like he is slowly improving. It would be hard to know if and when he will make a full recovery, since it is not clear exactly what is wrong with him.

The best you can do is continue giving him supportive care. Look at you electrolytes and see how much salt is in that. It may be better to switch to giving poultry vitamins a couple of times a week. Vitamins, electrolytes and even probiotics are generally not for long term use (weeks on end), they can be given a couple of times a week for a boost though.

Have you tried placing him in a sling? That will help support his weight, any maybe allow him to move his legs and gain strength.

It sounds like he is slowly improving. It would be hard to know if and when he will make a full recovery, since it is not clear exactly what is wrong with him.

The best you can do is continue giving him supportive care. Look at you electrolytes and see how much salt is in that. It may be better to switch to giving poultry vitamins a couple of times a week. Vitamins, electrolytes and even probiotics are generally not for long term use (weeks on end), they can be given a couple of times a week for a boost though.

Have you tried placing him in a sling? That will help support his weight, any maybe allow him to move his legs and gain strength.

I was wondering if I should stop the vitamins and electrolytes for a day or two. I don't have the package with me but I'll look when I get home.

I was also just thinking of making him a sling. He has started to move around more, but he won't stand fully and must throw his wings out to balance himself. I have tried to pull out his legs to see if there is anything wrong and he seems very stiff. Also, it feels like he has no muscle on his upper leg, the drumstick part lol and it doesn't feel like he has muscle on his breast. I wonder if he might have lost some muscle mass due to the bad diarrhea. I think I remember feeling his legs near the beginning and while it was small, there was definite shape of muscle, now it just feels like the bone on his leg.

The only things that keep me hopeful are that his comb remains a nice color, he is very vocal, he is alert more often, and he is eating well (except that he doesn't seem to remember to turn around to eat so I turn him around and he gobbles food and water then turns himself back around).

I was wondering if I should stop the vitamins and electrolytes for a day or two. I don't have the package with me but I'll look when I get home.

I was also just thinking of making him a sling. He has started to move around more, but he won't stand fully and must throw his wings out to balance himself. I have tried to pull out his legs to see if there is anything wrong and he seems very stiff. Also, it feels like he has no muscle on his upper leg, the drumstick part lol and it doesn't feel like he has muscle on his breast. I wonder if he might have lost some muscle mass due to the bad diarrhea. I think I remember feeling his legs near the beginning and while it was small, there was definite shape of muscle, now it just feels like the bone on his leg.

The only things that keep me hopeful are that his comb remains a nice color, he is very vocal, he is alert more often, and he is eating well (except that he doesn't seem to remember to turn around to eat so I turn him around and he gobbles food and water then turns himself back around).
Yes, you can stop the vitamins and electrolytes for a few days. I would add them only 1-2times a week at this point.

Try the sling and see if that helps. If possible, make one that has the food/water in front of him if he seem to not be remembering to eat/drink by himself.
He would need to monitored closely while in the sling.

Yes, you can stop the vitamins and electrolytes for a few days. I would add them only 1-2times a week at this point.

Try the sling and see if that helps. If possible, make one that has the food/water in front of him if he seem to not be remembering to eat/drink by himself.
He would need to monitored closely while in the sling.

Thank you for all the help and info you've given me. Unfortunately Pumpkin passed away in the 4 hour time frame my sister and I had gone out for lunch and to get the kids from school.

At first I was okay because I knew it could happen, but now I'm getting emotional about it because I got used to him sitting at the table with me and being so cute pecking at the keys and enjoying pets.

Thank you for all the help and info you've given me. Unfortunately Pumpkin passed away in the 4 hour time frame my sister and I had gone out for lunch and to get the kids from school.

At first I was okay because I knew it could happen, but now I'm getting emotional about it because I got used to him sitting at the table with me and being so cute pecking at the keys and enjoying pets.
I'm so sorry to hear about Pumpkin:hugs

Back
Top Bottom