Slow/Sour Crop

MadChickenMama

Songster
Apr 14, 2018
North Carolina
Yesterday one of my Seramas had a crop that was puffed up and squishy. It was well into the afternoon by this time. He has also been lethargic.

I read the article on here about slow/sour crop but I still need some help.

So I helped him vomit, didn't get up much, but the crop wasn't as puffy. I then gave him a little feed and have been giving him some water with a little ACV in it. I haven't had the chance to make the ginger and whatnot concoction.

Got up at 6:45am (little over 15 mins ago) and his crop is not puffy, but it is also not empty. Feels like a normal, fairly full crop.

What should I do? He's acting lethargic again as well.

Edit: it was 7:07am when I wrote the above, now it is 7:35am and I was petting him and his crop doesn't have a hard lump in it like it's full, but now it's puffy again.

Last edited:
Sometimes crops may be puffy do to other illnesses, such as coccidiosis or other problems. In hens, reproductive problems can cause it as well. I have not had good luck treating crop problems. Sometimes using an antifungal drug such as nystatin will help, along with some massaging of the crop several times a day. What are you feeding? Here are some articles by others with good advice:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Awww...poor little guy!

How long after you brought him from your sisters did he get sick?
Tell us more about the chicken room? Is that a garage, extra room in the house, etc.? Did I read correctly, he does much better when he is not in the chicken room?

If he is doing better when not in the room - investigate that angle further. Is there lighting, fresh air, no mold or fumes, etc.? Not badgering you - just brainstorming.

He may have a blockage somewhere, it sounds like his crop is not completely emptying. Even though he is only eating chick starter, does he have a source of grit?

Any way you take a stool sample to a vet for testing of Coccidiosis and worms? I see you are in NC - we have 4 state labs that will do testing too if you are near one of those - Raleigh, Elkin, Monroe and Fletcher If I remember correctly stool testing is under $20 at the labs.

IF testing is not possible, I would consider treating him for Coccidiosis. The fluffed appearance, small stools, the crop not emptying, him moving to a new place, etc. he may have become overloaded. You can find Corid at your local feed store.
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Keep us posted.

I'm sorry:hugs

If you think it's Marek's then this article is well worth the read http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Do what you can to keep him clean, drinking and eating.

The only way to know for sure what's wrong with him is have testing. Since you are hesitant about adding these new birds next to or with your older flock, it would be a good idea to find out. Then you can make your decisions based on the report you get.
If you cull him or he dies. Refrigerate the body and send it to your nearest NC lab

http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/ncvdl/

If he were mine I’d crate him at least overnight. No food no water and check him first thing in the morning to see if the crop has emptied.
I had a Roo with a pendulous crop (was given to me that way) and tons of problems with sour crop.
In the morning. Smell his breath. Check the emptiness.
It’s good you didn’t feel a hard lump (impaction).
Some people use feminine hygiene cream for yeast infections for sour crop.
I just used yogurt and electrolytes in the water along with working (vomit) the crop.
Could be something very simple. Try the least evasive first. That’s my suggestion.

Last edited:
Yes, the Corid if fine to give even if he does not have Coccidiosis.

I would still work on his crop to see that it's emptying too. Offer him some wet chick starter to see if he will eat that. He needs to be drinking too.

Ok, thanks. And I've seen I should treat the whole flock. I'm not sure where he would have picked up that illness from if it's that as none of my sister's chickens had it and even then, when this guy and his group were outside at her house they were in a different area than her chickens had been. And my yard has never had chickens in it. But I am definitely worried.

I don't know if he's just tired cuz of the time or what (his group tend to be a little slow getting started in the morning before 7am lol), but he just seems to be refusing to wake up. Normally he will perk right up and get up and eat. I've had him with me all day yesterday and all night last night.

Oh and he has that tiny lump of food in his crop this morning again.

Back
Top Bottom