1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Slow white broilers from Welp Hatchery

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by daisybelle, Nov 30, 2011.

1. daisybelle

daisybelle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Has anyone tried the Slow White Broilers from Welp Hatchery? It says they take longer to mature, but it sounds like they may live long enough to be able to reproduce. I'm thinking about breeding my own flock of Delawares, but maybe these would be an option. Anybody have any thoughts on these. Thanks.

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    Bumping a very old thread! A friend of mine likes the Slow Whites from Welp -- she has been raising them for several years, says the hens lay fairly well, and they breed true, plus are good meat birds (though not Cornish X of course). I'm wondering how they compare to the Pioneers/Rainbows and Rangers? Anyone tried both types?

Kathleen

3. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    aren't these broilers a hybrid? I would have assumed they were, if they are how is it possible for them to breed true?

4. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    We have done several batches of Welp Slow Whites with very minimal loss. We have also retained several pullets and the largest cockerel, and can assure you that they do not breed true. As I don't eat feather that is okay. Generally the size and shape are okay, though growth rate is not as good moving forward. The picture is of pullets from Welp slow white eggs. They must have quite a mix to create this much variety.[​IMG]

I caponize the cockerals for a 22 week processing date (4 1/2 to 6 pound pound carcass weight). Pullets are sold off, or processed earlier.
    Their dual purpose is mostly for meat. Some of the pullets lay well (120 eggs per year), and others not well at all for the second year. Hence they taste good

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    Well, thank you for that information! I kept thinking that I really should try them (although getting chicks through the mail is really risky here), but I think I'll just stick to what I can get at the feed store.

Kathleen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by