sluggish chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Julia Carver, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Julia Carver

Julia Carver New Egg

Nov 24, 2013
    I have a 2 year old New Hampshire Red. Three days ago I noticed that she was acting sluggish and spending time away from the other chickens. She is pulling her head in toward her shoulders, closing her eyes, and puffing up her feathers. I looked around the internet but I couldn't find anything out. I picked her up and she spit up yellow stuff. does anyone know how to help her?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    when you post on the emergencies thread, please do so in detail - every little bit of info will help toward making a better diagnosis. How long has she been this way? Do you think she has crop issues? I wonder since you said she spit up yellow . Photos of her stance and posture may indicate the problem also. Does she cough, have runny eyes or beak? If it is cold outside does she have the opportunity to go where it is warmer (coop) . You may want to isolate her from the flock in case she is contagious. Also have them around may stress her badly.

5. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Heya
    I agree with the above posts. Have a feel at her crop is it squishy or hard. Did the yellow stuff smell awful ? Maybe sour crop ?
    Isolate her and pop a link to the new thread here so we can follow you there.

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! x4 on the Emergencies section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by