1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Slugs. What are they good for and why?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lengel, Jul 8, 2009.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    It has not stopped raining in Massachusetts for over a month. Sure there was that one day here and there but otherwise we're drowning.

Now there are slugs EVERYWHERE. I found one in my rain boots yesterday. This morning they are in the chicken food dishes (just one or two but extreme given that there are five or six in the water dishes every day).

What are slugs good for? Anything? My search gave me tons of ways to kill them (mostly involving salt) but that's it. Any reasons to keep them around?

2. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    None that I know of. I hate em. I hate when I touch one not meaning to and that nasty sticky stuff get on my hands. YUK!!!

3. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    I hear that ducks and geese absolutely love 'em! Get a couple ducks to add to the flock,,,

4. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    yep- they make good duck food.
    but then again, so do mice.

5. Kismet

Kismet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    New Hampshire, USA
    Yes, the slugs are everywhere! [​IMG] I've never had a problem with them before, but it has been raining every day (with rare exceptions) since the beginning of June! We are mildewing here in the northeast!

I feed slugs to my hens - they fight over them. It brings out my sadistic side to watch a poor slug being pulled apart as though on the rack.

6. louloubean

louloubean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    slugs are good snake food too.

7. LuckyFarrell

LuckyFarrell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Plymouth, MA
    Yeah, we got'em too. Everything I pick up in the yard has a couple of em hiding underneath, tried feeding one to the chicks, they wanted nothing to do with it. Nasty little buggers, they do have a purpose though, they play an important role in ecosystems by eating dead leaves, fungus, and decaying vegetable material.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They are good for two things....

1. Destroying your garden
    2. Duck treats

Slugs are the primary reason I got in to raising ducks. My property was over run with them. The ducks do a great job keeping the population under control.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  9. AmyRey

AmyRey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Quote:I bet they'd work wonders in your compost pile.

10. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:I was going to say the same thing... Slugs are great for destroying your gardens. I have lost so many squash and squash plants in particular to the little [​IMG] . Needless to say I am planning on investing in some ducks next year or the year after (depending on some different factors). [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by