Slugs. What are they good for and why?

lengel

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
MA
It has not stopped raining in Massachusetts for over a month. Sure there was that one day here and there but otherwise we're drowning.

Now there are slugs EVERYWHERE. I found one in my rain boots yesterday. This morning they are in the chicken food dishes (just one or two but extreme given that there are five or six in the water dishes every day).

What are slugs good for? Anything? My search gave me tons of ways to kill them (mostly involving salt) but that's it. Any reasons to keep them around?

I hear that ducks and geese absolutely love 'em! Get a couple ducks to add to the flock,,,

Yes, the slugs are everywhere!
barnie.gif
I've never had a problem with them before, but it has been raining every day (with rare exceptions) since the beginning of June! We are mildewing here in the northeast!

I feed slugs to my hens - they fight over them. It brings out my sadistic side to watch a poor slug being pulled apart as though on the rack.

Yeah, we got'em too. Everything I pick up in the yard has a couple of em hiding underneath, tried feeding one to the chicks, they wanted nothing to do with it. Nasty little buggers, they do have a purpose though, they play an important role in ecosystems by eating dead leaves, fungus, and decaying vegetable material.

They are good for two things....

1. Destroying your garden
2. Duck treats

Slugs are the primary reason I got in to raising ducks. My property was over run with them. The ducks do a great job keeping the population under control.

Last edited:
Quote:
I was going to say the same thing... Slugs are great for destroying your gardens. I have lost so many squash and squash plants in particular to the little
duc.gif
. Needless to say I am planning on investing in some ducks next year or the year after (depending on some different factors).
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom