Slumber Parties in the Nesting Box

LN2008

Songster
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Larryville, KS
My girls seem to like to pile into one particular box and sleep there for the night. How do I break them of this? I tried doing decoy eggs so they get the hint as to their purpous, but it's just not working. Suggestions?
hu.gif

I have one hen who settles in a nest box every night at roost time, while the rest of my hens pick their favorite spots on the roost. Every night when I close up the coop, I pick her up and place her on the roost. This has been going on for months, and I can't seem to break her of this habit. Maybe she just likes the extra attention, IDK. If you don't feel like placing yours on the roost every night like I do, is there a way for you to block off the nest boxes just prior to roost time so they can't settle themselves in there?

Quote:
I think I'm going to try blocking it off. Maybe with something just to big for them to get around? idk. I guess they're just stubborn!

Mine did this and I blocked them off with some extra hardware cloth I had. The next night they were on the roost. When their combs started getting red and they started getting loud, I took out the screen, and they laid exactly where they were supposed to!

I went out tonight to put my girls to bed and found all five snuggled up in the nest box. I didnt think it could fit that many at once but they were all in there. I dont think they were cold I have heat light in there because their water keeps freezing.

Back
Top Bottom