Slumber Parties in the Nesting Box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LN2008, Dec 9, 2011.

1. LN2008

LN2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    My girls seem to like to pile into one particular box and sleep there for the night. How do I break them of this? I tried doing decoy eggs so they get the hint as to their purpous, but it's just not working. Suggestions?[​IMG]

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I have one hen who settles in a nest box every night at roost time, while the rest of my hens pick their favorite spots on the roost. Every night when I close up the coop, I pick her up and place her on the roost. This has been going on for months, and I can't seem to break her of this habit. Maybe she just likes the extra attention, IDK. If you don't feel like placing yours on the roost every night like I do, is there a way for you to block off the nest boxes just prior to roost time so they can't settle themselves in there?

3. LN2008

LN2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    Quote:I think I'm going to try blocking it off. Maybe with something just to big for them to get around? idk. I guess they're just stubborn!

4. Blubirdz

Blubirdz Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    southeast texas
    How high are your nest boxes? If they are to high they will roost in them.

5. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    Mine did this and I blocked them off with some extra hardware cloth I had. The next night they were on the roost. When their combs started getting red and they started getting loud, I took out the screen, and they laid exactly where they were supposed to!

6. stephanie munson

stephanie munson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    Being new to keeping chickens, I would like to know why does it matter if they dont sleep on the roost?

7. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Chickens make LOTS of manure during the night, and that makes for very messy nests. ........stan

8. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I went out tonight to put my girls to bed and found all five snuggled up in the nest box. I didnt think it could fit that many at once but they were all in there. I dont think they were cold I have heat light in there because their water keeps freezing.

9. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    Could they be too cold?

10. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Hahha. Funnny thread. My jersey giant kept perching my crate nest boxs and tipped it over. I had a roo that would not roost. He laid in the shavings all night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by