SLW Cockerel in West TN in need of new home (reasonable delivery available)

TheAlrightyGina

Crowing
Sep 3, 2020
Memphis, TN
I'm cross posting this--I already posted in the Tennessee thread, I'm just trying to give this guy as good a chance as I can.

I'm looking to rehome a Silver Laced Wyandotte cockerel, so if anyone in West Tennessee, North Mississippi, or Southeast Arkansas is in need or want of one, let me know. I'm not 100% sure of his age, but he's handling my 9 1/2 month old pullets just fine. I took him in about 2 months ago and he was still peeping, so maybe 5-6 months? He's the loveliest rooster in temperament that I've had in a while--tolerates handling, isn't rough with the pullets, and even treats chicks gently and attentively, calling them to food. He doesn't chase me or my kiddo, unlike pretty much every male I've had (including Silkie cockerels...). He doesn't peck, and he eats treats out of your hand gently enough that you don't even need gloves (I can't even say that about most of my females!)

Unfortunately, due to his youth he is really enjoying crowing right now. He's not super loud, but I live in a suburban area and the last thing I need is for people to get irritated at my chickens. I've been keeping him inside the garage at night so he won't bother people in the morning (he crows off and on in short bursts starting at 7 am, but is nowhere near obnoxious). I can't even hear him in the house without the window open, and the coop/run is less than 100' away, but I am a bit of a coward when it comes to conflict, so I'm looking into my options.

Normally I process excess/problematic cockerels, but this one has such a lovely temperament that I'd hate to have to do that with him. So if any of y'all could give him a safe home with some ladies to protect, let me know. I'm more than happy to deliver him (within reason) to such a place. If I absolutely have to, I can keep him cooped up until he isn't drowning in new testosterone, but I don't want to do that to him if I can avoid it. If I remember, I'll try to post a picture of him later.

I would love to have him. He sounds awesome. Unfortunately, I think I'm a bit far, and already have 3 boys. But one may be butchered soon, due to aggressive behavior. If that happens, I will need a new LF rooster.
@CHlCKEN may be interested?

What part of Georgia? If it's Northern Georgia it might not be too bad. If no one else shows interest let me know if you end up needing him and we can probably work something out.

What part of Georgia? If it's Northern Georgia it might not be too bad. If no one else shows interest let me know if you end up needing him and we can probably work something out.
It's south Georgia. I'm very close to Alabama. I definitely will let you know if I end up needing him. I hope you find him a good home!

I'm cross posting this--I already posted in the Tennessee thread, I'm just trying to give this guy as good a chance as I can.

I'm looking to rehome a Silver Laced Wyandotte cockerel, so if anyone in West Tennessee, North Mississippi, or Southeast Arkansas is in need or want of one, let me know. I'm not 100% sure of his age, but he's handling my 9 1/2 month old pullets just fine. I took him in about 2 months ago and he was still peeping, so maybe 5-6 months? He's the loveliest rooster in temperament that I've had in a while--tolerates handling, isn't rough with the pullets, and even treats chicks gently and attentively, calling them to food. He doesn't chase me or my kiddo, unlike pretty much every male I've had (including Silkie cockerels...). He doesn't peck, and he eats treats out of your hand gently enough that you don't even need gloves (I can't even say that about most of my females!)

Unfortunately, due to his youth he is really enjoying crowing right now. He's not super loud, but I live in a suburban area and the last thing I need is for people to get irritated at my chickens. I've been keeping him inside the garage at night so he won't bother people in the morning (he crows off and on in short bursts starting at 7 am, but is nowhere near obnoxious). I can't even hear him in the house without the window open, and the coop/run is less than 100' away, but I am a bit of a coward when it comes to conflict, so I'm looking into my options.

Normally I process excess/problematic cockerels, but this one has such a lovely temperament that I'd hate to have to do that with him. So if any of y'all could give him a safe home with some ladies to protect, let me know. I'm more than happy to deliver him (within reason) to such a place. If I absolutely have to, I can keep him cooped up until he isn't drowning in new testosterone, but I don't want to do that to him if I can avoid it. If I remember, I'll try to post a picture of him later.
He sounds wonderful! Unfortunately I am not comfortable introducing adult birds to my flock, and I don’t have space a rooster either.

Here are some current pictures of him:
IMG_20210126_141046.jpg

Being good with the babies. They were in part raised by a broody so the flock tolerates them pretty well, otherwise I wouldn't let them all free range together.

IMG_20210126_141109.jpg

Here's a shot of him from the front. I threw down some scratch so I'd be able to move around more freely, lol...dang slipper chickens!

IMG_20210126_141654.jpg

Here he is calmly tolerating me taking a selfie of him. Please note that the black bits on his comb and wattles are from the older ladies picking on him, but he takes it all in stride.

ETA: Oh I forgot to mention his name! Mr. Squeaky, on account of how his crow sounded at first.

Back
Top Bottom