Slw?

bryan8

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
New york
I have 2 slws that get picked on and they don't have any wing feathers. I want to cut my flock down a little anyways.

Would they have any uses for food? Or should I try and sell/get rid of on craigslist?

Thanks

~Bryan

You can use just about any bird for food, the quality and quantity you get from them is what varies.
wink.png

How old are your SLW? If they're older just be sure to age the meat well and plan to use it for the crockpot.

Yep. Just process them, let the meat age in the fridge for a few days (I'd do it in a brine) and then either cook and eat or freeze to use later. Because they're older (dual purpose chickens for meat are usually processed no later than 16 weeks or so, Cornish X are generally processed at 6-8 weeks) you'll get the best results if you use their meat in a stew, slow-cooked casserole, soup or something where you marinade the meat before using -- fajitas, made right work great with older chicken.

Alright thanks for the info! I'll process them up soon, it's a shame to kill em but there so skidish and they get picked on. Might as well save some feed

~Bryan

A family friend who raises chickens says hens taste the best butchered at two years. I don't know his technique for cooking them, but I bet 9 months would be great! I'd definitely say brine them. Let us know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom