Small ball hanging from some feathers

Almarma

Chirping
7 Years
May 6, 2013
Hi everybody. This is my first post here. I'm sorry it's asking for help from the beginning but it happens that I have a couple of dwarf cochin rooster which I love and both have a strange illness. I've tried searching in the forum and in Google and I can't find any information about it. Maybe it's because english is not my main language and I'm not using the proper description but let me show you guys a picture of a feather I found today inside the coop. They have a few of these balls hanging from some feathers on their vent area. It's quite strange and after taking the picture I noticed a lot of tiny small dark dots over the ball and the feather too.

IMG_3296.jpg

Does any of you has any clue about what can it be?

Cheers from Norway :)

BantyChooks

Pullarius
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Aug 1, 2015
That's a grouping of mite or louse eggs. It appears that you have an extreme infestation of them, I'm sorry to say. Do you have access to Permethrin there? Sevin dust works too. Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is a commonly recommended solution, but its strength is debatable at best. Many people report that it did nothing for their infestations.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
Here's a well-written article on the topic.

Last edited:

Almarma

Chirping
7 Years
May 6, 2013
Thank you @Wyorp Rock ! I just discovered those are, as you said, a ton of lice eggs :(.
I have no clue about what do I have available to treat them. I found an article sharing tips and possible treatments so I will bring it with me and visit a local shop which sells products for farms. The sell all kinds of tools and food for animals and I've seen some sprays they use for cows and things like that, so maybe they have some of the options I need.

Here's the link I found: https://www.dummies.com/home-garden...ns/poultry-external-parasites-lice-and-mites/

Thank you again for your answer :). I'll keep sharing updates about my little guys

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
Thank you @Wyorp Rock ! I just discovered those are, as you said, a ton of lice eggs :(.
I have no clue about what do I have available to treat them. I found an article sharing tips and possible treatments so I will bring it with me and visit a local shop which sells products for farms. The sell all kinds of tools and food for animals and I've seen some sprays they use for cows and things like that, so maybe they have some of the options I need.

Here's the link I found: https://www.dummies.com/home-garden...ns/poultry-external-parasites-lice-and-mites/

Thank you again for your answer :). I'll keep sharing updates about my little guys
Keep us posted!
I'm sure you should be able to find something that will work for you. For an infestation you need to really use something like Permethrin as suggested by @BantyChooks
You may be able to find Carbyl or something labeled as a "miticide" for birds.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
I would use pemethrin, or look for a product with pyrethrins. One is natural while the other is synthetic, and both work. Carbaryl or Sevin seems to be losing it’s effectiveness, at least with my chickens. Ivermectin pour on might be another treatment to consider. The link that Banty Chooks gave you should have all of the instructions and dosages.

Almarma

Chirping
7 Years
May 6, 2013
Hi everybody!
Some time ago I came here to ask for help with lice nits. I've now been able to see them hiding under the feathers of my chickens. I live in Norway, in the north, far away from civilization ;) and medicines here are surprisingly expensive. I found that website I linked in the previous post and got those products. They seem to be made for pigeons, but I contacted them and they said it should be fine also for chickens so I gave it a try.

One is a powder to be mixed with the wood shavings and the food and the other is a spray to use both directly on the animals and corners of the coop.

I tried it and it seems to make wonders with the pest. After a couple of times applying it, most of the balls and the lice disappeared. The only problem is that because winter here is extreme, the chickens don't get out at all and working and keeping the coop totally clean is quite difficult, so I plan to wait a little more until spring to do a re-check of all the chickens and also do a proper and deep cleaning of the coop.

Thank again for the help with the problem :)

Top Bottom