Small chick recovered from runny eye, first egg today :)

12 hours after the first cipro drop, the eye has opened more, and has stopped running all over her shoulder:

eye2.jpg

Edit: still runny, but not as much as before.

Last edited:
Well we'll all hope for the best with your little one, and yes you can add to your flock just have to keep in mind that if it did turn out to be something where the others were carriers then the ones you bring in will be exposed to it also. But that is your decision only. I found out this morning by shear accident because i saw her poop, that my little mama hen has round worms. so i have put wazine in her water. Don't know if this could be her problem or not, tried to find some info but not too clear on symptoms. Any way other than not being able to balance she has great appitite and sure does love her chicks. So I will continue with her as long has she has desire to live, and will be hoping the same for your little one too.
fl.gif

The worms sound better than Mareks though, yes? I do hope she is able to recover, and that it's nothing serious. She sounds like a great hen! And that's what I've always come to know about animals (and people, too)-- if they eat, they desire to continue.

I'll see if my runt will recover, and go from there. From what I read, others are dealing with this sort of thing as well, so I'll post any changes, experiments, and results.

Most books recommend culling all sniffles, sneeze rs and coughers. Emotions aside I would cull to protect the healthy. I have a small fortune in chickens and cannot take the risk. Some diseases are very difficult to totally eradicate, infectious laryngotracheitis is what I think it is, your extension office can test for you..
Quote:

I totally understand and agree. She doesn't have all of the symptoms, but if it's contagious and/or incurable, I don't want to expose other birds. Not just my own, but other people's and even wild ones. I'll give it through the weekend.

A friend of mine had it several years ago and the state said she needed to get rid of all birds for at least 100 days but she let it go too long. I think it is reportable in some areas. I hope I am wrong but you must err on the side of caution.

Should I notify the guy I bought them from? He's a private breeder, popular and well-liked... I'm not saying he gave me a sick chick on purpose, especially since nothing was noticeable the first couple of days. But I read about the incubation time, and passing stuff from hen to egg, etc.. And since all of them have been inside their entire little lives, and I've never had birds here before, I think this one may have been sick from the get-go.

Sorry 'bout that. What a bummer. I'm not even sure it's really working, but it says to administer for 5 days. So I'll wait and see, just for the information. If the chick gets better, I'm still probably not comfortable with it being around the others. Argh. So... is it a heated topic to ask what the preferred method is for humane culling? We're probably the clinical vinegar/baking soda type, but would like to hear opinions.

Back
Top Bottom