Small chick recovered from runny eye, first egg today :)

Atomic Ranch

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
El Cerrito, So Cal
Edit: In the event someone else is dealing with a runny eye (not bubbly) infection, here was my experience:

I'm new to chickens. Got my first 14 about 3 weeks ago, including this one. Runty, but energetic and eating. Her eye started running about 2 weeks ago. A few sneezes here and there. About 1 week ago it was suddenly crusted shut. Warm saline helped open it. Antibiotics in water don't seem to have helped (yet, 5 days in). Started then all on Sulmet for another chick (blood in stool) and it seems to be helping her, but the runny eye in this one persists. She's obviously uncomfortable, scratching at it and wiping it against her shoulder. I can't really tell if it's a skin condition which is spreading, just her feathers sticking, or something like lice or worms. The others do not have this. What is it and what can I do?

eye.jpg

I'll be able to take a better photo in the daylight tomorrow. Tough little bird and I'd hate to lose her. Should I separate her from the others?

Last edited:
Separate her ASAP. Not a skin thing. She is rubbing her eye nasties on her wing. I have the same thing going on. My vet told me its going around and contagious. I have mine on cipro. Seems to be working. Ive tried terramycin, sulmet, duramycin, vet rx, NFZ puffer, and ive also tried doing nothiing. Hopefully someone that has had luck with this will chime in.

Did your vet say what it is? If it will run its course, or if it's incurable? How long has yours been on cipro? Please let me know if it works.

Sorry for all the questions, but when you separate one from the rest, is a small box within the large box enough? They are all in a big bathtub box right now because they can't go out yet. Is it that you don't want them physically contacting each other, or should they not even be breathing the same air?

Hey, you're in Riverside... is this a local condition perhaps?

Last edited:
Cyproheptadine-- is that what the vet prescribed? It's an anti-histamine... usually allergies aren't contagious. (If that's what it is.) Since the others haven't contracted it during the two weeks they've been communal...

Are anti-histamines for humans okay to administer to chicks in very low dosages?

She's miserable, constantly scratching at her eye. If I can't do something to alleviate it, I'm not certain life is really worth it for her.

Someone please advise?

Ciprofloxacin is probably what she meant- it's a broad spectrum antibiotic, and she probably shouldn't be breathing the same air. I'd separate her with one friend (knowing it may get it) or with a stuffed animal, a hand mirror and a heating pad.

Quote:
Thanks for replying
smile.png

I tried Duramycin and it didn't help. Where can I get ciprofloxacin? The online vet store indicates it's for fish (?) Will something else work perhaps?

Is there a topical or drop antibiotic I can use?

Okay, will separate moreso. I'm not prepared to lose another chick, so cat toy, mirror and lamp it is.

Last edited:
Cipro comes in an opthalmic drop for the eye and in oral doses for systemic treatment. I have no idea how you'd get it other than for humans unless you went to the vet- it's probably in the medicine cabinet of anyone you know with kids, because toddlers get pink-eye and pass it around. You might get a vet to prescribe it readily. I'd try that or baytril, again, it is prescription only.

It's just SO frustrating! After calling vetmeds and the gamut of other pharmacy type suppliers, they ALL need prescriptions for ALL eye related antibiotics. It seems excessively silly that I can't get access to something I'm fairly certain will work. So... I've asked a doctor friend of mine if he can phone in a prescription for *coughmecough* for cipro, since I've had blepharitis before. We'll see.

Update: Hooray, he says he'll do it from the office tomorrow. Should I water the stuff down, or just go for it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom