1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Small chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheTwoRoos, Nov 28, 2015.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Okay,so I have been waiting to see if the "This years chicks" would grow big.Well,out of all the chickens I have ever had,they are small.They lay eggs.They are all about 7 months old.

They also have tiny combs and tiny waddles.Even the breeds that were suppose to be large are tiny.

Like the New Hampshire pullet.She is tiny for her breed,and has a shrink type waddle for her breed to.Same for the Barred rocks.The Silver laced Wyandotte is very tiny,and she doesn't even have a rose comb,which unusual.Something makes me think all these birds have something wrong with them...

And the New Hampshire came from a tractor supply,while I got the other from a hatchery.

The roosters match their breed.The leghorn cockeral is tiny as I was expecting since they aren't very big.The New Hampshire cockeral is fat,and tall,with a okay comb size and waddles.But the pullets look dwarfed compared to the other older hens.

I have also looked at others pullets on this site and they look normal,like all the other pullets I have seen.

Any idea on what may b egoing on,just slow growth or something?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Maybe you got bantams by mistake - or they hatched out of pullet eggs. That's all I can come up with.

3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I agree, sounds like maybe they are bantams.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Maybe it's just because they are hatchery stock? Hatchery birds just don't get as big breed standard birds.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    And it can take more than a year for chickens to finish growing and to fill out, mine can take a couple of years until they get real big.

6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    I'll take pictures,but they really do not look like bantams.They don't have the body shape.

7. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Yeah,but I have had newhampshires before and by four months they have reached these pullets sizes.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Bantams should have the same body shape and color as their large fowl counterparts, just smaller.

9. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    But usually bantam shave like a more flat back

10. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    It's hard for me tod escribe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by