Small comb, lots of eggs?

Fanny

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
Greetings!

Is there a breed out there that has a very small comb (low risk of frostbite), and can lay comparably to a Leghorn or a Rhode Island Red? If not comparably, which would come closest?

Thanks!

One of my easter eggers (the more "yellow" one) lays a cement colored egg with an average of about 6/wk. - over the last three weeks the RIR has only laid a total of 1 or two eggs more. The other one is just plain lazy.

Thanks! I have seen buff orpingtons around here with frostbite - it gets pretty cold here. I've wondered about the Easter Egger and Chanteceler - I've heard of specific birds that were great layers, but not sure if across the board they are as consistent and reliable as the "egg laying machine" breeds? Basically I'm wondering if there is a breed that is absolutely known for it's egg-laying (like leghorns are), and has a rose or a pea comb.

Though I guess that would maybe be the Rose Comb RIR? Hadn't heard of them before. Thanks again!

My Sexlinks lay very well and the hens don't tend to get frostbite but the roos do. My SS are the same way but lay average 5-6 eggs a week depending on the hen.
smile.png

You could try looking on http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html Is a list of chicken breeds in kind of a chart form.
You could look at Faverolles, Hamburg, or any others already mentioned.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
smile.png

on the chart it says that both Leghorn and RIR can also come in a rose comb.
idunno.gif

I'm just looking at the chart.
hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom