Small Coturnix quail hens?

RoosterHuggerLiz

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
I have a pair of quail hens I was given as a gift as chicks that I absolutely adore- Monty and Peru- For the most part I keep them in my living room next to a properly shaded window in a 3sqft rabbit cage with a dust bath and feeding/watering stations (in the process of building them a six sqft indoor coop atm). They have healthy feathers and are given plenty of supplemental vitamins and healthy treats along with their feed as well as are weighed weekly!

My issue is that my baby's don't seem to be the right size for their species? I was told they are Coturnix quail and yet recently I went to a friend of mines home and found her birds we're nearly three times the size of mine! I thought it was utter insanity and asked their breed but she clarified they were the same as mine. She showed me her button quail and they were much closer to my girl's size, did I do something wrong? I fed them the proper chick feed and supplied them with optional supplemental heat well into their first lay?

I have no issue with them being small, what I worry about is their health! Any idea why this happened or if it's dangerous for them?

Attachments

• IMG_20230527_164213089.jpg
    IMG_20230527_164213089.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20230527_164140702.jpg
    IMG_20230527_164140702.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 26
I have a pair of quail hens I was given as a gift as chicks that I absolutely adore- Monty and Peru- For the most part I keep them in my living room next to a properly shaded window in a 3sqft rabbit cage with a dust bath and feeding/watering stations (in the process of building them a six sqft indoor coop atm). They have healthy feathers and are given plenty of supplemental vitamins and healthy treats along with their feed as well as are weighed weekly!

My issue is that my baby's don't seem to be the right size for their species? I was told they are Coturnix quail and yet recently I went to a friend of mines home and found her birds we're nearly three times the size of mine! I thought it was utter insanity and asked their breed but she clarified they were the same as mine. She showed me her button quail and they were much closer to my girl's size, did I do something wrong? I fed them the proper chick feed and supplied them with optional supplemental heat well into their first lay?

I have no issue with them being small, what I worry about is their health! Any idea why this happened or if it's dangerous for them?
They still look like they are growing as they look to still have some of the yellow baby fuz on their faces. How old are they? What are they fed?

I have them on the Purina game bird starter, the larger of the two weighs about 4.2 ounces and the smaller weighs about 3.6. they're about 13, maybe 14 weeks old

That is small for adult quail. At 13-14 weeks old, they are certainly adults. I'm not sure what has stunted their growth since you've been feeding them properly.

It is about time to switch them over to an adult feed, though. If you can't find a good layer feed, you can get an adult game bird feed and offer calcium on the side.
I already offer them calcium, do you think tractor supply would have the adult feed?

Back
Top Bottom