Small cuts to comb after netting rooster.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SproutGirl, Sep 29, 2008.

1. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Hello,
    In our attemps to catch our rooster to help him realize that the humans are the top of the pecking order in our yard, we have been using a net. This has been working quite well when getting him by hand doesn't work, but I have been noticing that when he struggles inside the net before we get him out, he sometimes gets small leisions on his rose comb. We don't want to injure him, but we want to safely capture him to let him know who is boss. Does anyone have any suggetions? These little cuts are about half the size of a grain of rice or smaller, but they still make us sad. Thank you for your help.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Bump. I hate 0 responses.....

3. Alpha Roo

Alpha Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Apple Valley, CA
    get softer net or replace the netting with a pillow case.

4. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Thanks. I may try the old pillow case idea. Has anyone tried the crooks they sell for catching birds? Our Mochi is usually such a good boy, but once in a while, he gets a little too big for his britches, and I just don't want to injure him. Thanks again for your help.

5. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I don't think such small cuts will harm him-roos fight all the time & inflict much greater damage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by