Small dark spots on eggs in fridge

Gomanson

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Minnesota
I have a Gold Star, a White Leghorn, and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. The Gold star's eggs are rock hard compared to the others' eggs. Lately I've noticed small dark spots appearing on some of the white leghorn's and silver's eggs after they have been in the fridge a few days. Some eggs have just a couple, and some are totally mottled. I couldn't get a good pic, but they look like little round shadows about the size of a bb.

I was all my eggs in warm water with a little bit of antibacterial foam soap. At first I thought the spots were only appearing on eggs which froze before I got them, but now I'm getting some on eggs which I know never froze. Any ideas? (I've eaten some of the lightly spotted ones and didn't notice anything.)

I don't know what is causing the spots, but you really don't need to use that antibacterial cleaner. You are washing off the good, natural covering that the egg already has on it! Just warm water is enough with a little rub to get any poop or other stuff stuck to it off. Let Mother Nature do her thing and protect the egg for you.
Good luck.

I'd have to see pictures, but that almost seems like you've got a mold or mildew problem in the 'fridge. You're not seeing anything like that on other items in the 'fridge?

Could you post a picture? Some of my eggs do something similar, the pigment seems to change a bit when they are hardboiled or refridgerated. Some of them get darker, some blotchy and a few have some light spotting.

I think it might be excess moisture on the shell when it is placed in the fridge. instead of evaporating, it's absorbed by the shell, I've had it happen before. Dry them well before placing them in the fridge. plus don't use the soap. like the others said, just a little warm water is what I use
cool.png

I knew I wouldn't get away from posting something like this without pics
smile.png
Ok, I got some better ones. I also noticed when I hold them up to the sunlight, the spots show more light through, which leads my to believe it's something that's making the shell thinner in those spots.

36788_eggs1.jpg

36788_eggs2.jpg

Yeah, just thinner shells -- up their calcium and see if they go away.

Back
Top Bottom