Small dog attacked my 3 yo submissive hen

Aloha gang! It has been 3 weeks since Mazie suffered the dog attack and a week since I wrote an update.
So Mazie's care this last week was to pretty much to leave her to her own devices with the roosters locked out of the run. I did lose her one time... but 45 minutes later I found her tucked away on the nest box weather wall ready for bed and she has acclimated herself a bit more everyday. 20210318_183058.jpg

I rehomed a few roosters so my mini coop became available and Mazie used it to sleep and hang out a few times as it can be a fun place for the birds. I put in a medium/low seniority hen in with her the first night and the second and third night when she put herself to bed she scared everyone out. After that she has been hopping up to the roosts in the main coop. I just keep giving her good options and she keeps getting better. She is feeling weighty again and has feather growth.
Today the big news is she was roosting in the mini coop taking a rest and I see some of her scab has fallen off and the larger portion is lifted. Is that new skin I see under that scab???!!! Unbelievable.
20210322_145627 (2).jpg 20210322_145649.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like she is growing new feathers at the bottom part, too.
Just on her tail I see some and on her upper back where she still had skin. I am not sure what I am going to see under her scabs but I'm starting to think it is going to blow my mind in a good way. I never would have thought or guessed a little chicken could do such a big amazing heal. I mean, I really had no idea how she was gunna pull this one off. Just incredible.

So this morning when the flock hopped down from their roosts Mazie hopped down with them and promptly goosed #2 roo. lol. Boys went off with out incident. Mama is ruling the roost.

I hope so, be very careful if you plan on pulling it off.
No, I wont pull off for sure, it is a huge scab 😬 like a turtle. If it gets funky somewhere like hangers I may cut any potential trouble off. Does that sound about right? I have no idea about what to expect next, though I really feel that we are far out of the woods now. She did a great job healing and is in great spirits today. Just wonderful!!! :ya🥇🎉🎆🎆🎆
I have been battling a mite problem but have been waiting to dose the flock because of her and also feeling I may be able to handle w/o. Don't think it is going to be that easy for me this time. :hmm and some wet weather is coming our way for a few days. I guess that may pose some unknown challenges but from what I can tell, she looks pretty sealed.

No, I wont pull off for sure, it is a huge scab 😬 like a turtle. If it gets funky somewhere like hangers I may cut any potential trouble off. Does that sound about right? I have no idea about what to expect next, though I really feel that we are far out of the woods now. She did a great job healing and is in great spirits today. Just wonderful!!! :ya🥇🎉🎆🎆🎆
I have been battling a mite problem but have been waiting to dose the flock because of her and also feeling I may be able to handle w/o. Don't think it is going to be that easy for me this time. :hmm and some wet weather is coming our way for a few days. I guess that may pose some unknown challenges but from what I can tell, she looks pretty sealed.
I think it's healing pretty good. I would definitely watch to make sure flies are not getting around the edges of the lifted scab. You don't want maggots getting under there that's for sure. Not trying to creep you out, but it can happen.

If you are battling mites, I would go ahead and treat the flock. What are you planning on using? If a Permethrin type spray, then I would treat her too just to get ahead of any infestation. Modify how you apply the spray. Of course you want to get under her wings and under the vent - if needed, dampen a cloth and wipe it on her in certain areas, but I would still treat her.

Well, for the mites- a little over 1 month ago, pre Mazie injury, I had an isolated infestation with a day 15 broody hen and her box. I treated everyone w/ ivermectin in the water dose, removed all of the bedding, vacuumed, sprayed all boxes & roosts with vinegar & dish liquid mix-let sit 30, scrub and rinse- DE everywhere and a VERY light Sevin in critical corners and sand box along w/ DE. 2 weeks ago I checked and changed all nesting material even though it all looked clean, re dusted and a light spray on top of nests and then butts on the roost w/ a chicken mite spray from feed store- all they had, if it is Permethrin I don't know for sure. It was the most natural/organic they had at the time. The label has now worn off but I am sure that is the directed use- spray butts. Maybe it is out of date 😬 ???
I am wanting to do the ivermectin in the water again as I apparently missed a life cycle. I feel like my whole neighborhood is infested, I saw a Mynah bird scratching on the front fence yesterday. I will broadcast spray with vinegar & soap and hit my auntie/neighbors junk/weed pile as I know that place harbors all thing disgusting (Yuck) and fruit trees etc.

Last edited:
I would definitely watch to make sure flies are not getting around the edges of the lifted scab. You don't want maggots getting under there that's for sure. Not trying to creep you out, but it can happen.
OK. I'll have my DH help me out this afternoon and get a bright LED light to shine up her turtle shell scab lol. Good thinking. Not creeped out at all... yet... I hope, ever. :sick Well, with my few minute stare, I don't see anything slithering out so you all may be safe from me posting a photo. :hmm

Back
Top Bottom