Small Egg and a Soft shell

Hank 23

In the Brooder
May 2, 2017
Ct
So I have 6 laying hens and they are just coming around to laying but one seems to be laying pretty small eggs, I got one yesterday the size of a quarter, and little bigger today. But still not as big as others, could it be her just trying to get used to laying?

So I have 6 laying hens and they are just coming around to laying but one seems to be laying pretty small eggs, I got one yesterday the size of a quarter, and little bigger today. But still not as big as others, could it be her just trying to get used to laying?
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Soft shells, tiny yolkless eggs, and double yolkers are all common in girls just coming into lay. The reproductive system is still working itself out and hiccups are normal. It's one reason I don't hatch from young birds... help avoid deformities and such. It doesn't mean they don't have enough calcium, Presuming they do have a calcium source available.

Some of these things can happen during the regular seasonal start and stop as well.

I got one the size of a dime recently.

Last edited:
Well that's good to know and I give them crushed up egg shells not sure if that is as effective as the oyster shells or whatever it is

Well that's good to know and I give them crushed up egg shells not sure if that is as effective as the oyster shells or whatever it is
Crushed egg shell is a fine addition... if you are using layer feed which is often around 4% calcium. I always had OS available when I used layer and they hardly used it, but they still did use some.

If you aren't using layer, the egg shells will not be enough long term to maintain strong shells and health.

Now I don't use layer, but flock raiser and we go through penty of the OS and I still feed the egg shells back also.

My first 6 have just turned 20 weeks and several have been laying for 2 weeks now. I've had a double yolk and a shell-less egg plus one thin shelled. All normal at start up. Not to worry. I have also found if I hand feed the calcium (oyster shells) they gobble it up so I know for sure that everyone is getting some. I have read 3 chicken books and tortured my chicken friends with questions. And, as you say, this site is the best! I am LOVING this new adventure!

My first 6 have just turned 20 weeks and several have been laying for 2 weeks now. I've had a double yolk and a shell-less egg plus one thin shelled. All normal at start up. Not to worry. I have also found if I hand feed the calcium (oyster shells) they gobble it up so I know for sure that everyone is getting some. I have read 3 chicken books and tortured my chicken friends with questions. And, as you say, this site is the best! I am LOVING this new adventure!
If I'm not mistaken... the OS isn't even used directly. It is absorbed into the keel bone which then release it to the shell gland.

I wouldn't worry about hand feeding it.
hu.gif

Congrats on your new layers!
celebrate.gif

Thank you and that's what I've read. The calcium comes from their bones but if not replenished, they'd definitely be in trouble. I don't see them eating it on their own but I am NEW and I do WORRY about them a lot!

Back
Top Bottom