Small egg big goose. would like impute.

JRies

Crowing
Jun 7, 2019
Colorado
Ok so in anouther post I showed a picture of my first gosling. But would like some open thoughts. This is hatch 2 not ready to hatch till Monday. But 2 babies piped in the wrong area not even close to there air cell.
I have them opened up for air way and totally understand they still have 2 days before there ready to come out. Even though both of them appreciate having a conversation with me. Gotta love geese.
I have a few more coming up that are in small shells.
All thought and criticism will be excepted.

Attachments

• bas pip 012.JPG
    bas pip 012.JPG
    400.3 KB · Views: 20
  • bas pip 010.JPG
    bas pip 010.JPG
    415.2 KB · Views: 7
Thought I would get a picture of the 3rd egg in the hatch. It has turned but no internal pip. or exterior pip. Also not seeing movement this is a little larger egg.

Attachments

• a 001.JPG
    a 001.JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 5
Thank you goosebaby for the like. Baby on the left started flopping its egg everywhere so I helped it out today was totaly ready. its doing well in the brooder getting its ground eggs.
I posted in ducks last week and got allot of questions but really no thoughts about how I could do better. 7 of my runners (21 egg hatch) did the same thing. 5 made it.
I think that was the powers to be getting me prepared for this. Not sure.

I do understand that breach birth happens and small egg big goose is a issue. So just looking for impute. If anyone has it. Been through it. Yes its normal to have to help once in a while but this year its allot more than it should be.

I took a few pictures one of the baby that hatched then one of his egg if you look close the air sack is still intact.

I have a few more of these hatches coming up in the next few weeks. Then my older girls eggs after that. IF ANY ONE HAS SOME THOUGHT! Please jump in. Baby on the left is clearly not ready yet. 3rd egg no internal pip or external.

Attachments

• a 008.JPG
    a 008.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 6
  • a 005.JPG
    a 005.JPG
    438.7 KB · Views: 4
The first thing that comes to mind is anything different about this hatch as far as the geese laying the eggs, the conditions, etc.? Since the eggs are smaller, are these younger layers?

I have some (chicken) pullet eggs hatching right now, and a surprising number of the chicks are malpositioned, many pipping on the wrong end. These are smaller eggs because they're from new layers, and I think there just isn't sufficient room in many of the eggs for the chicks to turn and get into proper hatching position. I'm an admitted "hands on" hatcher, but was still surprised that I needed to assist so many of them.

I also have goose eggs in the incubator, and will be hatching for the remainder of the season. I will always assist a gosling if I think it needs help, and often open up the shells like you have to ensure that they can breathe once they've internally pipped. Better safe than sorry, IMO.

Not sure this was helpful, but that's my two cents' worth. Congrats and best wishes for the rest of the hatch!

The first thing that comes to mind is anything different about this hatch as far as the geese laying the eggs, the conditions, etc.? Since the eggs are smaller, are these younger layers?

I have some (chicken) pullet eggs hatching right now, and a surprising number of the chicks are malpositioned, many pipping on the wrong end. These are smaller eggs because they're from new layers, and I think there just isn't sufficient room in many of the eggs for the chicks to turn and get into proper hatching position. I'm an admitted "hands on" hatcher, but was still surprised that I needed to assist so many of them.

I also have goose eggs in the incubator, and will be hatching for the remainder of the season. I will always assist a gosling if I think it needs help, and often open up the shells like you have to ensure that they can breathe once they've internally pipped. Better safe than sorry, IMO.

Not sure this was helpful, but that's my two cents' worth. Congrats and best wishes for the rest of the hatch!
Thats very helpful thank you!!!! really thank you... When it happened with the runner duck who were 2 years old girl (the first time I hatched from thous girls)I was huge concerned. Then the geese yep my mind knows there small eggs and geese ask for help I did respond this time.
My first almost baby was one of the white Africans. Internally piped, wiggled for me, I though it had exterior piped but it turns out I didn't, was a hair on its shell that looked like a crack. When I went in on day 33 to candle it it was still wiggling but not much. I made a tiny whole in its air cell and it was already gone. Pealed it back and yes should have hatched at least 24 hours earlier everything was absorbed and had a dry shell.
These 2 one is almost 48 hours early and is doing well. the 2nd is still bound in its shell not even close to ready. the 3rd I cant help since there is no pip anywhere in or out and I think movement has stopped..
So yes very helpful... As much as I think I have learned, read, shared, invested in, these birds make me learn it all over again. But the baby from my 1st successful hatch this year is doing a good job teaching the runners how to run like a goose... wish he could teach them how to be as friendly as one.
I have 3 more small egg hatches to go through

Ok so in anouther post I showed a picture of my first gosling. But would like some open thoughts. This is hatch 2 not ready to hatch till Monday. But 2 babies piped in the wrong area not even close to there air cell.
I have them opened up for air way and totally understand they still have 2 days before there ready to come out. Even though both of them appreciate having a conversation with me. Gotta love geese.
I have a few more coming up that are in small shells.
All thought and criticism will be excepted.
I know you want answers not questions, but looking at your post, I am at such a loss as to what is happening! Is that a dead goslings in the shell? Or is the shell completely opened but the baby will still be ok? Everything I have read so far says not to assist even the smallest bit in a hatch but your egg is opened. Is this something only for very advanced hatchers?

The first baby started shaking its shell hard so I pealed it back and it was ready to hatch.
It had piped on the small end of its shell. when I saw that I opened the whole bigger. In original post that;s the one on the right. Once they do that they have no way to zip so its a finger crossed waiting game.
The one on the right was a whole different problem. It never turned all the way and piped just below the air cell. When I opened the whole bigger there was blood so I made sure it could breath. 12 hours after the other one hatched I tried again still got blood. Waited till the next morning and went for it blood or not. The baby cane out twisted it was not in a hatch position or even close. It had already absorbed its yolk and the umbilical cord was detached. Im not sure but I think the blood was a little pocket that got cut off when it twisted. So probably was ready to hatch 12 hours sooner. It had a crook neck so I wrapped it in a straight position propped the baby in a box and put it in the brooder. Mind you I had no idea is I was doing the wright thing. after another 24 hours it could lift its neck and was trying. By last night it could lift its neck high enough to drink. This morning I woke up to 2 play-full geese with full belly's.. Its a little behind the other one but has its feet on the ground.

The 3rd egg never hatched its from my first year white and so far almost of of theirs have quite.

Food for freedom was very helpful, Sometimes you really just need to know your not in this alone. My runners did the same thing but when I thought about it after her response. My runners started laying early due to a heat lamp light in there pen. So there eggs were small also compared to the size they were a month later.

The picture on the right is from yesterday morning when she still couldn't completely lift her neck.

Attachments

• a 002.JPG
    a 002.JPG
    326.2 KB · Views: 4
  • a 004.JPG
    a 004.JPG
    312.2 KB · Views: 5
The first baby started shaking its shell hard so I pealed it back and it was ready to hatch.
It had piped on the small end of its shell. when I saw that I opened the whole bigger. In original post that;s the one on the right. Once they do that they have no way to zip so its a finger crossed waiting game.
The one on the right was a whole different problem. It never turned all the way and piped just below the air cell. When I opened the whole bigger there was blood so I made sure it could breath. 12 hours after the other one hatched I tried again still got blood. Waited till the next morning and went for it blood or not. The baby cane out twisted it was not in a hatch position or even close. It had already absorbed its yolk and the umbilical cord was detached. Im not sure but I think the blood was a little pocket that got cut off when it twisted. So probably was ready to hatch 12 hours sooner. It had a crook neck so I wrapped it in a straight position propped the baby in a box and put it in the brooder. Mind you I had no idea is I was doing the wright thing. after another 24 hours it could lift its neck and was trying. By last night it could lift its neck high enough to drink. This morning I woke up to 2 play-full geese with full belly's.. Its a little behind the other one but has its feet on the ground.

The 3rd egg never hatched its from my first year white and so far almost of of theirs have quite.

Food for freedom was very helpful, Sometimes you really just need to know your not in this alone. My runners did the same thing but when I thought about it after her response. My runners started laying early due to a heat lamp light in there pen. So there eggs were small also compared to the size they were a month later.

The picture on the right is from yesterday morning when she still couldn't completely lift her neck.
Wow wow wow! You saved those 2 babies! That’s amazing. Congratulations on doing such an incredible job with those adorable little ones. Thank you for sharing your experience!

I wish you were here to help my babies hatch, should any of them even come close. I had 6 goose eggs shipped from someone that clearly did not know how to ship eggs. Very poor packaging. My mistake for not asking more questions first! She has insisted I incubate them anyways even with damaged and detached air cells. That’s like telling a woman to get pregnant knowing she has an 95% chance of having a stillbirth. It’s sick. Seller will only replace the eggs if not a single egg shows up as fertile after 7 days. She doesn’t care if they die during birth, only cares if the eggs are fertile. My incubator is small so I can’t stand them upright to try and heal them. It might be better to dispose of the eggs (ugh, the thought is excruciating!), only incubated a few days, than to have a little baby die while hatching. I will be so heartbroken. It seems cruel to me that she wouldn’t properly re-send healthy eggs, or have me to drive and pick them up, rather than telling me to torture the most innocent of lives just so she can have the extra money.

I’ve never hatched anything in my life and would not be able to perform the miracles you just performed! Do you think I should toss the eggs and chalk it up to an expensive lesson?

Last edited:
Wow wow wow! You saved those 2 babies! That’s amazing. Congratulations on doing such an incredible job with those adorable little ones. Thank you for sharing your experience!

I wish you were here to help my babies hatch, should any of them even come close. I had 6 goose eggs shipped from someone that clearly did not know how to ship eggs. Very poor packaging. My mistake for not asking more questions first! She has insisted I incubate them anyways even with damaged and detached air cells. That’s like telling a woman to get pregnant knowing she has an 95% chance of having a stillbirth. It’s sick. Seller will only replace the eggs if not a single egg shows up as fertile after 7 days. She doesn’t care if they die during birth, only cares if the eggs are fertile. My incubator is small so I can’t stand them upright to try and heal them. It might be better to dispose of the eggs, only incubated a few days, than to have a little baby die while hatching. I will be so heartbroken. It seems cruel to me that she wouldn’t properly re-send healthy eggs, or have me to drive and pick them up, rather than telling me to torture the most innocent of lives just so she can have the extra money.

I’ve never hatched anything in my life and would not be able to perform the miracles you just performed! Do you think I should toss the eggs and chalk it up to an expensive lesson?
I have 9 shipped goose eggs in the incubator from a really good breeder. 3 came cracked and have paraffin patches on them they had a gentile ride air cells were good when they got here but had egg to egg contact in the box. Not sure what will happen. Get to check for fertility tomorrow. I dont think many people know how to ship geese eggs. So I get it. I spent the money for foam shippers for my runner eggs and charge for them.
Shipped eggs are a hard issue. and with my breed you never expect more than 50% to be fertile. I will be thinking about you while I hatch them.
Dont give up I have hatched goose eggs shipped to me with huge saddles and they made it. When the babi dose its turn sometimes they partialy repair it. Candle it till you see a pip locate the beak and be prepared to open a breathing whole like my first picture.
Something you can make and have on hand is a drywall screw in a piece of wood that only the small tip cones out the other side. Not sure if that makes sense but you want just the tip of the screw exposed on the other side exposes, the tip should be out about of the depth of a egg shell. This way if you have to make a breathing hole you wouldn't go to deep and hurt the baby. Then use one tooth of a dull table fork to slide in to widen the hole and make sure the membrain is not over there noise.. I also keep washed cotton gloves available when I handle the egg I make sure my gloves are wet and warm.

Not sure I did a incredible job but wouldn't it be great if we had hind site. I just lucked out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom