Small feeder and waterer for small pen?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TimM, Sep 25, 2010.

1. TimM

TimM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Hi all. I just finished building my 3' by 4' coop (with additional run) to house 3-4 Bantams. (Pics coming soon!) Now I need to think about food and water dispensers.
    Because the coop is small, I need to minimize space requirements.

After considerable looking around, I've settled on the Avian Aqua Miser, a half-gallon bottle with attached nipple. This seems to be popular and effective. Good choice?

But I see a baffling number of choices for feeder, and I don't have a clue. Does anyone have a suggestion for a feeder that is small, clean (poop-free) and sufficient for just 3-4 Bantams?

I have a few more newbie questions, if I may. I searched many pages of this forum and could not find these answers.

1) If I buy day-old chicks (Is this a reasonable choice?), do I need a special feeder and waterer for them, or can I use regular adult versions and just adjust the height?

2) Should I have the feeder and waterer inside the coop and trust that they will come inside when they get hungry/thirsty? Or keep them outside in the run?

3) Even though my setup is probably predator-proof, I would never leave feed outside at night. But should I leave feed inside the coop at night for them to eat? Or can I totally remove it from their environment, to avoid tempting bears with the smell of feed?

4) One source said that it's okay to remove water from the coop at night because they don't drink. This prevents freezing on cold nights. Is this reasonable?

Thanks!

Tim

2. dahlia333

dahlia333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Portland
    I have this feeder for my 3 bantams....I got it at the local feed store. It stays clean--you just have to hang it so it's as high as their backs. But I didn't use this one until they were older and in their coop.
    http://www.horizonstructures.com/Details.asp?List=3&Product=16

For baby chicks, you use one of these usually...
    http://www.strombergschickens.com/products/feeders_chick.php

Remember, if you're buying day old chicks and they are bantams, they usually are not sexed so you won't know how many roosters you'll end up with. Might not matter to you though.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

[​IMG]
    PVC pipe with a sink trap on the bottom. For a waterier the top is glued on a inverted to fill. The feeder is filled with a removable cap.

Babys need small wateriers for sure but small feeders are good idea.

4. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    They will go in when hungry or thirsty. I have three coops and all the feeders and waters are inside no problem. If you are limited on space inside I think the mailbox type feeders take up much less room. you'll need a chick waterer for when they are small but a adult feeder is ok. I put bricks in front of the feeders so the little ones can reach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by