Small Flock #'s

Helicoprion

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Hello! I've been interested in getting a couple chickens for years, I absolutely love chickens!

What is the smallest flock size you would go with? I don't have a huge back yard, but it's a decent size. I was thinking, is two chickens not enough? I can have up to 4 chickens in the city I live.

Thank you for your help!

My daughter had two, and that worked out for her. Chickens like company, one would be lonely, but the more you have the more room you need. . I have 4, and get 2-3 eggs a day. It is hard to add new members to an existing flock, so it is best to get them all at once. Study the breed descriptions here so you get the most appropriate breed(s) for your situation. Good luck, have fun!!!!

You can go with two or even four...With two the pecking order will be easier, with four one might get pecked on? The more birds a person has the less likely one will be hen pecked. Meaning, ten hens get along better than five or six...If all you want is two hens, they will get along because they only have each other.

Hope this helped you?

I began my flock with two adopted older hens. They had both come from a larger flock. It worked out well until one died. The surviving hen was very lonely. I managed to get another hen from the original flock, and after they got reacquainted, all was well.

Then I added three chicks to my tiny flock. They were accepted, miraculously, immediately, which isn't the usual case.

So, yes, two hens will work, but chickens have short lives, and you need to plan for that.

Breed selection might impact longevity. Chickens I have do not show real signs of aging until five or more and they can easily live more than 10 years if properly cared for. Such longevity is not associated with sustained egg production.

Thank you for your responses!

So in regards to breed choices, are certain breeds better for smaller flocks like this? Also, eggs are one of the reasons I want chickens, but not the main one. I love chickens, I used to love visiting my grandparents and playing with them! I remember them being very friendly and eager to interact with us. Does breed effect that response as well, or did my grandparents just have odd chickens?!

Thank you for your responses!

So in regards to breed choices, are certain breeds better for smaller flocks like this? Also, eggs are one of the reasons I want chickens, but not the main one. I love chickens, I used to love visiting my grandparents and playing with them! I remember them being very friendly and eager to interact with us. Does breed effect that response as well, or did my grandparents just have odd chickens?!
Orpingtons will be excellent birds for you. I love my Orps....Very gentle, docile birds...Good egg layers.

Not a fan of 2 hen flocks. If something happens to 1 you are left with 1 and certain times of the year, it's hard to find a replacement. I vote for 3. 3 dual purpose hens will lay 15-18 eggs a week. Breed is part of the equation in making them sociable but how you handle and work with them is more important. Select breeds that do well in your climate and that are pleasing to you visually and you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom